What does adding Hydrogen Peroxide do to tank chemistry and organizims in tank

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following is *not* from Chem Pub or any kind of scientific educational or government site. However, it does have some easy to understand info. Be sure to always research this kind of thing from sites that are either .gov or .edu because you are less likely to obtain incorrect information.
This is just from a quick google search of " Where do I find what stabilizer is used in a brand of peroxide".
Unfortunately I don't have the time to dig through the internet and locate more trustworthy sources.
What's readily available in most areas is pharmaceutical grade. I.e. 3%

"Manufacturers of drug store grade hydrogen peroxide do not, as a rule, identify the stabilizers used in their product; however, it is well known that the most common stabilizer of H202 is acetanilide. Other agents known to be used as stabilizers include phenol, tin, Colloidal stannate, organophosphonates, and nitrate."

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must state though we have about nine years of ongoing peroxide work using any brand as long as its wound care quality (vs hair bleaching type from salons) and we have no patterns of loss requiring care of purchase beyond being used for wound care or gargling. I can't match your stated losses to the type of peroxide used based on work patterns, we've been using drug store kinds and even 7-11 gas station kinds over the years.

We rarely dump it in the water in my work threads though, they're disassembly cleaning/ reassemble threads putting peroxide on target outside of the water and perhaps that's keeping losses under the radar from stabilizers.

Lees peroxide thread in gen forum though is ten yrs though and it's nearly all water treatments, we would expect some losses there it seems/patterns over time vs single events. *almost nobody exceeded the 1:10 dose rates there, perhaps that low level worked to reduce toxicity as well not sure

Last edited:

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must state though we have about nine years of ongoing peroxide work using any brand as long as its wound care quality (vs hair bleaching type from salons) and we have no patterns of loss requiring care of purchase beyond being used for wound care or gargling. I can't match your stated losses to the type of peroxide used based on work patterns, we've been using drug store kinds and even 7-11 gas station kinds over the years.

We rarely dump it in the water in my work threads though, they're disassembly cleaning/ reassemble threads putting peroxide on target outside of the water and perhaps that's keeping losses under the radar from stabilizers.

Lees peroxide thread in gen forum though is ten yrs though and it's nearly all water treatments, we would expect some losses there it seems/patterns over time vs single events

I agree, a pattern would/should happen. But if the same product brand is being manufactured in multiple places, those places might not be utilizing the same stabilizer. You also have different tanks with different rock, corals, fish, substrate, and a myriad of other factors that could contribute. Honestly unless a controlled study could be done, with first analyzing the type of stabilizer being used, it's all anecdotal. Even my experience is anecdotal. And like I said, I'm not saying don't use peroxide, I'm just cautioning that it's not just that peroxide in the bottle.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one thing that I have questioned about peroxide. Is using it like using antibiotic. It can’t differentiate between the good and bad dinoflagellates. So stabilizers aside, what keeps it from effecting the dinoflagellates that keep our corals alive? Is it the slime coating on the corals that protects the dinos in their tissue? Or something else. Because realistically I’d think if it kills Unwanted algae there is no reason it shouldn’t kill the wanted algae too.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I read somewhere it was safe to pour 3 % peroxide directly on rocks so I did so. It killed all my algae and it hasnt came back and that was months ago. The problem is it also killed all the life in the rocks like copepods and I have I have a mat of something on my sand bed and walls. I treated with chemiclean and I noticed the last water change last night that this mat of stuff has changed from slimy and impossible to pass through the vacuum head without clogging it to dusty and stringy! I am wondering if killing all the copepods reset my tank and this is diatoms from new tank syndrome

I got a lot of it out last night and am going to continue to keep blowing rocks and sandbed and change filter sock daily hoping to rid this from my tank. What is ya'lls opinion the peroxide treatment killing copepods? My tank is just over a year old. My parameters are spot on but I have corals dying especially the ones on sand bed! Should I add copepods? How important are they? I have also been treating with vibrant and mb7 a few times a week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I read somewhere it was safe to pour 3 % peroxide directly on rocks so I did so. It killed all my algae and it hasnt came back and that was months ago. The problem is it also killed all the life in the rocks like copepods and I have I have a mat of something on my sand bed and walls. I treated with chemiclean and I noticed the last water change last night that this mat of stuff has changed from slimy and impossible to pass through the vacuum head without clogging it to dusty and stringy! I am wondering if killing all the copepods reset my tank and this is diatoms from new tank syndrome

I got a lot of it out last night and am going to continue to keep blowing rocks and sandbed and change filter sock daily hoping to rid this from my tank. What is ya'lls opinion the peroxide treatment killing copepods? My tank is just over a year old. My parameters are spot on but I have corals dying especially the ones on sand bed! Should I add copepods? How important are they? I have also been treating with vibrant and mb7 a few times a week.

I do not know if it is as much a copepod issue as you killed all the bacteria residing on the rock and opened the way for something else to colonize it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back