What does everyone do to support their reefing hobby?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is purely out of curiosity on my part. I'd like to hear what some of you do to financially support your reef keeping hobby. Is it satisfied by your main job? Picked up a side gig? Have a successful side fragging business going? I work full time as a firefighter/critical care paramedic to pay the bills and either try to pick up some side work, sell something I don't need anymore or pick up used reef stuff to use to keep the financial burden low and the wife/accountant happy.
I’m a lawyer but my wife hates spending communal earnings on reef stuff so I secretly donate plasma when I need a big new purchase lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1582593703717.png . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1582593748047.png

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go to work 40hrs a week... well also sold the ex wife and the kids lol. I spend a lot but I never use credit cards that don't get paid off that month. That in of itself buys lots of sticks with the interest saved. I've kinda gotten tired of my boat and its expenses and planning on selling it this spring. Money in the bank and... wait for it... another tank lol

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run my own business and trade frags for frags. Also most my corals I get for 5 to 10 bucks a frag no matter what it is. Acro millie digi sps lps zoa paly favia lol most of my coral came from a buddy i bought from. Keeping it cheap. And a bit of my equipment has been over years i the hobby. But all in all we are on a single income (me) and my wife takes amazing g care of our kids!!! We are just lucky to have money to spend on hobbies as well

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my own business, although I am not above selling my virtue for a new tank...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a massage therapist living in a resort town that is stupid expensive. I fund the tanks by extra side clients. sometimes I dont feel like it but then I think oh i'll have some extra cash to spend on the tanks that usually does it. I have a lot of time to think about all the corals and upgrades for my tanks....not sure if that is a good think or not...lol

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a software developer in my career, but I have a side gig that pays for the majority of what I spend in the hobby. Monthly, I allow myself $100 from my day-job's paycheck and $300-$400 from the side gig. That gives me a total of $400-$500 per month, depending on what I want to purchase. Most months, I spend $400, but I spent more this month to get a backup Apex system. I'm currently using the money to purchase backup equipment that will cover the entirety my setup (Apex, modules, lights, skimmer, return pumps, dosers, et al), except for the tank, stand, and sump. I'm trying my best to be a responsible hobbyist, which is expensive.

This is what I say to my hobby funds when I place my orders on the first of every month.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Salty Squid USN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started working on the wife prior to retiring from the Navy. My military disability pay would be mine to support my hobbies...all other pay (retirement and post mil job) would be hers to divy out to bills, family stuff, and saving. It's been 5 years, so far so good. I still get the "wow that's a lot of packages this week" but I'm pretty free to feed my addictions.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABA therapist here. Work full time. Scrape together enough for me to spend some on my tank and still keep the lights on lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back