What does heating my water do to my RODI unit performance? | BRStv Investigates

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Today we are investigating RODI even further by testing the effects of heated water on RODI unit performance. I think you may surprised with the results, even though most manufacturers test their membranes at 77 degrees!

Let us know what you think about heating your water prior to filtering it!

-Find all of our reefing videos HERE!

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, thank you for another informative video.

slim_santa_chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much on this topic. but I would want to run at a temp where I get the most gallons per membrane that factors is way more important to me then the flow rate a day. With this info it sounds like running cold water is better due to the TDS reading going in is less then the warm or hot water. If anyone else has an info on what I've said I would love to hear them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I presume BRS didn't temperature compensate, or didn't compensate correctly, for the temperature impact on TDS measurement for the input water TDS. I'd be very surprised if they actually dissolved that much metal from the pipes, which is where the "increased' TDS would have to come from.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple reason that TDS appears to rise as water warms is that the same total number of ions conduct electricity better when warmed. For that reason, conductivity and TDS measurements must always be corrected for temperature. Unfortunately, unless you know exactly what is in the water, you can only use a generic correction equation, which may not be perfectly accurate with whatever ions are in your water.

An interesting experiment for those with conductivity meters that purport to correct for temperature changes is to take some warm or cold tap or tank water warm, measure the conductivity, and then let it cool or warm to room temp and see if the conductivity changes. It shouldn't, but it likely will.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I presume BRS didn't temperature compensate, or didn't compensate correctly, for the temperature impact on TDS measurement for the input water TDS. I'd be very surprised if they actually dissolved that much metal from the pipes, which is where the "increased' TDS would have to come from.

Fair point and I absolutely appreciate your help sharpening the information we share. I know we are going to make some missteps along the way and you certainly set the standard of responsible knowledge in the reefing community :) Our water heater for the utility sink is pretty small and doesn't get used a lot so it's hard to say if there is something unique about that set up.

For the hot verse cold tap water I let the water rest to room temp but it's still warmer than cold tap. For the membrane performance the results matched the anticipated performance data from Dow so the assumption was the testing results were accurate. We are using a Hach HDQ meter which I am pretty sure compensates for temperature. We are setting up for reefapalooza so it's difficult to get the details on the meter at the moment.

Last edited:

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting experiment for those with conductivity meters that purport to correct for temperature changes is to take some warm or cold tap or tank water warm, measure the conductivity, and then let it cool or warm to room temp and see if the conductivity changes. It shouldn't, but it likely will.

When we get back I will absolutely do this and share the results!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point and I absolutely appreciate your help sharpening the information we share. I know we are going to make some missteps along the way and you certainly set the standard of responsible knowledge in the reefing community :) Our water heater for the utility sink is pretty small and doesn't get used a lot so it's hard to say if there is something unique about that set up.

For the hot verse cold tap water I let the water rest to room temp but it's still warmer than cold tap. For the membrane performance the results matched the anticipated performance data from Dow so the assumption was the testing results were accurate. We are using a Hach HDQ meter which I am pretty sure compensates for temperature. We are setting up for reefapalooza so it's difficult to get the details on the meter at the moment.

Thanks. :)

FYI, I do not doubt the conclusions of the experiment.

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

Various factors, such as temperature and pressure, impact not only the flow rate through the membrane but also the purity of the resulting water. Lower temperatures make the water more viscous and less likely to flow through the small pores, reducing the production of purified water. The effect of temperature on purity is much smaller, with purity decreasing slightly at higher temperatures. Higher line pressure across the RO membrane results in higher rates of production and quality, although a pressure that is too high can damage the membrane. Any backpressure on the effluent will degrade performance. Very high TDS (total dissolved solids) in the source water also leads to higher osmotic backpressure, reducing the membrane's effectiveness. As a rough guide, every 100 ppm of TDS produces 1 psi of osmotic backpressure.

Kaybee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice if the temperature made a difference to the water efficiency? i.e. what was the waste water volume? This is important for a lot of people.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back