What does Prime do to an Seachem ammonia test

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started up two 10 gallon tanks 2 weeks ago. One is a SW QT tank, one is a FW feeder tank. I've been adding stability every day. After a couple days I saw a trace of ammonia on the seachem test, so I started adding 2ml of Prime daily.

I tested today (and the last couple of tests) and Free ammonia shows zero, but total ammonia shows high (maybe 2.0? Its blue).

I'm afraid to stop adding prime because it only binds for hours. Will the total ammonia become free ammonia?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your nitrates at? Have the tanks been cycled? If the tanks are cycling you shouldn’t be dosing prime, just wait for the cycle to finish.

Ammonium is not toxic to fish unless in very high concentrations.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started up two 10 gallon tanks 2 weeks ago. One is a SW QT tank, one is a FW feeder tank. I've been adding stability every day. After a couple days I saw a trace of ammonia on the seachem test, so I started adding 2ml of Prime daily.

I tested today (and the last couple of tests) and Free ammonia shows zero, but total ammonia shows high (maybe 2.0? Its blue).

I'm afraid to stop adding prime because it only binds for hours. Will the total ammonia become free ammonia?

The total ammonia test uses a base to convert ammonium to ammonia. The base also decomposes the Prime molecule that binds ammonia, releasing it during the test.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The total ammonia test uses a base to convert ammonium to ammonia. The base also decomposes the Prime molecule that binds ammonia, releasing it during the test.
Ok, so the prime is basically removed from the result?

I know Prime converts ammonia to ammonium, but temporarily. My fear is that if I stop Prime, the ammonium will change back to ammonia.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the prime is basically removed from the result?

I know Prime converts ammonia to ammonium, but temporarily. My fear is that if I stop Prime, the ammonium will change back to ammonia.

My understanding is that Prime ammonium complex is stable and will eventually be metabolized by bacteria which gets rid of the ammonia.

I doubt you need to keep adding Prime to keep the existing bound ammonia bound. If the tank is not cycled, I imagine additional amounts of Prime would be needed.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 'gut feel' is you should only add more prime to treat the free ammonia.

One danger is that prime also reduces the oxygen in the tank. Adding more and more Prime to treat total ammonia when there is 0 free ammonia will do nothing more than reduce oxygen and in extreme cases suffocate the live stock.

my .02

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 58 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back