What does your reef mean to you?

56longroof

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2023
Messages
3,124
Reaction score
6,446
Location
Durham Missouri USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does your tank mean to you? For me it's not only eye appeal it's also a huge stress reliever after a long day. In fact i spend at least 1 hour every evening watching it to unwind. So R2R, what is your motivation to keep a saltwater tank?
 
I think of my tank as a work of art, (in progress) and a view into the natural world. My tank is the main view point of my dinner table. I don't feel like there is a motivation behind keeping a reef tank but more so a strong love for my inhabitants.
 
My tank gives me something to work towards. Yes, it is currently not operational right now, but I do enjoy the challenge of maintaining one.
 
I think of my tank as a work of art, (in progress) and a view into the natural world. My tank is the main view point of my dinner table. I don't feel like there is a motivation behind keeping a reef tank but more so a strong love for my inhabitants.
The fascination and diversity of aquatic life is what drew me in. Now 40 years later it still as interesting as day one.
 
Simply put?

It's my zen.

I can't have my drums in my office anymore, and I've never been able to play them just any old time I want anyway.

But a fish tank is always there, just waiting for me. When I need a moment to clear my head, to relax and just breathe, to distract myself from a complex problem I'm trying to solve... there... there goes a little stomatella zipping across the glass. A micro star slips back into hiding. A shrimp appears from nowhere and goes about its business.

And when I need something to wrap my mind around, exercise my brain, there's ALWAYS something to observe, to learn, to ponder.
 
What does your tank mean to you? For me it's not only eye appeal it's also a huge stress reliever after a long day. In fact i spend at least 1 hour every evening watching it to unwind. So R2R, what is your motivation to keep a saltwater tank?
Good question. It underscores my true love for nature, my full support of science, and it is something I look forward to when waking up every day. Seeing the fruits of your labor after many months of ups and downs is very fulfilling.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new