What does your skimmer smell like?

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've experienced the typical rotten egg smell, the NOTHING smell and lately potting soil. Yes! My skimmate smells like potting soil. I'm not quite sure why but I'm assuming it must be a good sign considering my dt water smells exactly like the ocean. Must be the bacterial colonies present. What does yours smell like and why do you think it does so?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the years I've experienced the typical rotten egg smell, the NOTHING smell and lately potting soil. Yes! My skimmate smells like potting soil. I'm not quite sure why but I'm assuming it must be a good sign considering my dt water smells exactly like the ocean. Must be the bacterial colonies present. What does yours smell like and why do you think it does so?

Interesting question! I have several skimmers running on different systems and the skimmate from each system has a different smell. In fact, I think that I could probably do a blindfold challenge to be able to identify which skimmate is from which tank.

...and yes, I know the potting soil smell.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes i get notes of mahogany and a hint of lemon.
Jk mine is like ocean low tide mixed with sulphur/rotten eggs

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really get a feces or rotten egg smell from it (pretty much every skimmer I’ve ever owned had similar smelling skimmate), it’s more of top note of ocean/brine/seaweed and sea life drying out and just on the verge of decaying, a hint of patchouli, and the bottom is like a musty organic almost mildewy smell similar to the smell when you turn over a damp log. There are a lot of notes in there.

Scent is one of the most triggering, specific, and personal of our senses. Certain smells can instantly remind you of very specific memories and feelings, things you maybe even forgot. But it can also trigger revulsion or make you hungry, and alternatively there are things that smell good but aren’t appetizing, and things that smell bad that aren’t revolting (for instance my dog’s breath is gross, but I find it comforting). Just like I’m not revolted by the skimmate from my skimmer, I associate it with my tank(s), which have always had positive connotations for me.

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it smells like a bog. Sometimes it smells like the ocean. Usually somewhere in between, but it definitely does not smell like roses.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back