What Fish is This

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom's friend knows I have a reef thank, they sent my mom a picture of this fish to ask me what it was and tell me I should get one. its a cool looking fish, don't think I want one though. given the coloration I am guessing its probably venomous. Either way, I would like to know what it is.
image0.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting angle......a mandarin dragonet or madarinfish

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not venomous, but if she doesnt have a large supply, and a VERY large supply i mean, the odds that this fish starves are very high.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not venomous, but if she doesnt have a large supply, and a VERY large supply i mean, the odds that this fish starves are very high.
lol, they don't have reef tanks, They told me I should get one for my reef tank. I don't know where they saw it. I looked at it and said "that may be venemous and would definitely be a lot of work.... think I'm gonna pass XD"

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin goby or dragonette. Non-venomous. Needs a very established tank with a large/stable copepod population for it to eat.
actually I've had a problem with copepods... did they accidentally stumble across a good fish for my tank? XD jk, I do not want a fish that is going to need special attention beyond what I already do for the tank. just curious what it was

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I've had a problem with copepods... did they accidentally stumble across a good fish for my tank? XD jk, I do not want a fish that is going to need special attention beyond what I already do for the tank. just curious what it was
If you want a really cheap fish to survive saltwater aquariums well, get some black mollies

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a really cheap fish to survive saltwater aquariums well, get some black mollies
I was planning on getting a royal gramma, the last one I had did a pretty good job keeping the copepods under control... then I had an ich outbreak and the tank went fallow for 3 months and they flourished. as it is my new clowns just got into the DT from their QT today

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is rather timely, maybe because I believe big brother is watching on our computers, but this video came across my news feed.....interesting:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin dragonet . One of the most beautiful reef safe fish.
But without a established mature system it can be hard to keep fed .
They eat a lot !!
That being said introducing cultured pods to a established system can maintain and populate enough to supply more than enough food .

ADD3D435-2F21-42B0-8B90-A385D735FD87.jpeg

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on getting a royal gramma, the last one I had did a pretty good job keeping the copepods under control... then I had an ich outbreak and the tank went fallow for 3 months and they flourished. as it is my new clowns just got into the DT from their QT today
i hear they can bake good cookies, lol JK . sorry you had ich, quarantine quarantine quarantine

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting to be able to afford one that’ll readily eat frozen food. They’re my favorite small fish aside from the royal grammas!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hear they can bake good cookies, lol JK . sorry you had ich, quarantine quarantine quarantine
Learned this lesson the hard way unfortunately. lost a gramma, two clowns, a YTBD, a Tomini Tang, and a coral beauty... now everyone gets a QT and Dip before going anywhere near the tank.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin dragonet . One of the most beautiful reef safe fish.
But without a established mature system it can be hard to keep fed .
They eat a lot !!
That being said introducing cultured pods to a established system can maintain and populate enough to supply more than enough food .

ADD3D435-2F21-42B0-8B90-A385D735FD87.jpeg
yeah. maybe when I have more time and get a bigger tank he'd be pretty cool. right now I'm in school so, fish that need more care than I can provide in a few hours a week isn't something I think I could realistically care for. I check on them every day, obviously feeding multiple times a day, and tank maintenance on the weekends, but beyond that isn't really in the cards. I wanna provide good homes for my fish, and so I tend to steer more towards fish that can have their needs met with the time I have.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back