What fish should I get for a 10 gallon?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank that I have been quarantining invertebrates in. I think it might be time to switch it over to a normal tank. I know it is small so I can’t add much. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking some type of goby would be awesome. What else? Pair of clowns?

IMG_1586.jpeg

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank that I have been quarantining invertebrates in. I think it might be time to switch it over to a normal tank. I know it is small so I can’t add much. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking some type of goby would be awesome. What else? Pair of clowns?

IMG_1586.jpeg
Yellow clown goby.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 fish. Go for fish that like hanging out in one place, like gobies, small blennies like tailspot (get it a barnacle), even a firefish. I had an exquisite firefish and a tailspot blenny in my 10g. Firefish hung out in its cave till time to eat or to look at me, and blenny had free reign of the tank but mostly perched here and there watching me.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 fish. Go for fish that like hanging out in one place, like gobies, small blennies like tailspot (get it a barnacle), even a firefish. I had an exquisite firefish and a tailspot blenny in my 10g. Firefish hung out in its cave till time to eat or to look at me, and blenny had free rein of the tank but mostly perched here and there watching me.
Ok. I am think of getting 2 small fish. a yellow goby and something else. Maybe fire fish

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I am think of getting 2 small fish. a yellow goby and something else. Maybe fire fish
Maybe worth thinking about: griessingeri goby aka flaming prawn goby. Small, great for a nano if you can keep it fed.
https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/product/flaming-prawn-goby/
Stays on the bottom, so not likely invading space of your clown goby. Issue is that they prefer pods, but if you can get them on pellets and maybe baby brine, would be easier. Live rock would be most beneficial in this case.

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yasha goby+pistol shrimp pair is an interesting duo for a small tank.

There are some tiny cardinal fish like the yellow cardinal if you want an open water fish.

I second the firefish recommendation as well, they also spend a lot of time in open water unlike most of your goby/blenny options.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are some tiny cardinal fish like the yellow cardinal if you want an open water fish.

I second the firefish recommendation as well, they also spend a lot of time in open water unlike most of your goby/blenny options.
Idk what fire fish you guys have but those suckers hide 99% of the time until it’s feeding time ha!

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The goby+pistol shrimp would be awesome!

Does it matter what goby you get with the pistol shrimp?

In the 10 gallon I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. If it get a pistol shrimp will the shrimp fight?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it to only 2 small fish in there, and the best candidate for "2 fish" is always clowns, to me at least.
Yeah you can never go wrong with clownfish. I was thinking a goby+pistol and a clownfish. Do you think I should get 2 clowns or is the tank 2 small? Will 1 clown be fine on its own?

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1586.jpeg
You could get away with a clownfish pair. I’ve seen pairs kept successfully in 15 gallon AIO’s where the display has the dimensions of less than 9 gallons.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1586.jpeg

Nice looking tank!

I see a pair of clowns and Anemones.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1586.jpeg
Watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair! Or barnicle blennies!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back