What fish should I get for a 10 gallon?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the flaming prawn gobies. Also get a 4 line wrasse, pigmy hawk fish, coral croucher, trimma gobies, and there are a few other fish.

Really love the rockscape.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the flaming prawn gobies. Also get a 4 line wrasse, pigmy hawk fish, coral croucher, trimma gobies, and there are a few other fish.

Really love the rockscape.
I am think of a watchman goby+ pistol shrimp and maybe a clown.

Do you know if different types of shrimps can live together I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp in the 10 gallon right now, will a pistol shrimp fight with the cleaner shrimp?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am think of a watchman goby+ pistol shrimp and maybe a clown.

Do you know if different types of shrimps can live together I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp in the 10 gallon right now, will a pistol shrimp fight with the cleaner shrimp?
Yes, cleaners will be fine with a pistol. They don't occupy the same space.

I've seen single clowns do fine, but my female spent the first whole day up and down the glass nonstop--stressed me out so much I got a second clown next day and they've been fine since. That was in an Evo which has a slightly larger swimming footprint. The clowns only stayed in one corner of the Evo though except for food time, so might be fine in the 10g.

Yasha goes great with a candy cane pistol aka Randall's pistol.

Added first
PXL_20230630_181313434.jpg

Added second
PXL_20230706_011457755.jpg

Best friends
PXL_20230710_210028600.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cleaners will be fine with a pistol. They don't occupy the same space.

I've seen single clowns do fine, but my female spent the first whole day up and down the glass nonstop--stressed me out so much I got a second clown next day and they've been fine since. That was in an Evo which has a slightly larger swimming footprint. The clowns only stayed in one corner of the Evo though except for food time, so might be fine in the 10g.

Yasha goes great with a candy cane pistol aka Randall's pistol.

Added first
PXL_20230630_181313434.jpg

Added second
PXL_20230706_011457755.jpg

Best friends
PXL_20230710_210028600.MP.jpg
That is awesome I think I will go with that

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can never go wrong with clownfish. I was thinking a goby+pistol and a clownfish. Do you think I should get 2 clowns or is the tank 2 small? Will 1 clown be fine on its own?
Don’t go with a yellow false clown goby if you want SPS or LPS, they sit on them and kill them.
Go with a watchman goby +pistol+ some rare pair clowns since you want some expensive showpiece at least. Better yet the investment.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a tang of some sort. Should be able to make full rotations in that size tank.
I think I might go with a unicorn tang!!

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby+pistol shrimp would be awesome!

Does it matter what goby you get with the pistol shrimp?

In the 10 gallon I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. If it get a pistol shrimp will the shrimp fight?
I have a tiger pistol shrimp in a 20 gallon with a skunk cleaner and they don't bother each other. You will hear the pistol shrimp more than you see it. Just make sure you have a good cave structure for the shrimp and goby to live in. If you don't have anywhere to make a cave I would skip the pistol shrimp and just get a goby. Pistol shrimp have terrible eyesight and need the cave to feel safe or they will stress themselves to death. It looks like you have Marco rock (the best IMO) so you should be good. Marco rock has holes throughout so it should have plenty of room. Just make sure you have an 4-5cm or so below the rock for it to have an area to actively work on. That thing is always working and building. IDK why its not called a construction shrimp. Make sure you put some empty hermit shells and bits of shell for it to build structure, it will keep it happy. AND make sure you feed it a MEATY diet such as mysis or a mixed frozen food that has meaty chunks in it. I have to use a turkey baster and turn all the pumps off and put the food near one of the cave entrances.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger pistol shrimp in a 20 gallon with a skunk cleaner and they don't bother each other. You will hear the pistol shrimp more than you see it. Just make sure you have a good cave structure for the shrimp and goby to live in. If you don't have anywhere to make a cave I would skip the pistol shrimp and just get a goby. Pistol shrimp have terrible eyesight and need the cave to feel safe or they will stress themselves to death. It looks like you have Marco rock (the best IMO) so you should be good. Marco rock has holes throughout so it should have plenty of room. Just make sure you have an 4-5cm or so below the rock for it to have an area to actively work on. That thing is always working and building. IDK why its not called a construction shrimp. Make sure you put some empty hermit shells and bits of shell for it to build structure, it will keep it happy. AND make sure you feed it a MEATY diet such as mysis or a mixed frozen food that has meaty chunks in it. I have to use a turkey baster and turn all the pumps off and put the food near one of the cave entrances.
I think I have a big enough cave. I might make something a little bigger. Not sure how big it needs to be. Does the pistol shrimp and goby live in the same cave? I will add some small rocks for it to build with.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have a big enough cave. I might make something a little bigger. Not sure how big it needs to be. Does the pistol shrimp and goby live in the same cave? I will add some small rocks for it to build with.
Yeah mine live together full time. I am on my computer right now I will get on R2R on my phone and upload some pics

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine live together full time. I am on my computer right now I will get on R2R on my phone and upload some pics
You can see the hermit shell in their cave, as he destroys hermits who venture to his cave he uses their shell to reinforce his cave entrance. They move their entrance all the time. Sometimes the shrimp closes the cave completely at night and its opened back up in the morning. The goby is about 3" long and the pistol shrimp about 3" long as well
IMG_4126.jpeg IMG_4122.jpeg IMG_4124.jpeg IMG_4133.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank that I have been quarantining invertebrates in. I think it might be time to switch it over to a normal tank. I know it is small so I can’t add much. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking some type of goby would be awesome. What else? Pair of clowns?

IMG_1586.jpeg
smaller fish often come with pilot licenses in which they fly out of their tanks- as simple as saran wrap can reduce this chance
Some good smaller fish:
Springieri damsel
firefish goby
Tailspot blenny
catalina goby
diadema basslet
neon goby

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That + a small shark
Octopus would be great too, but I'm not sure how it will get along with the shark, mantis shrimp, unicorn tang, breeding pair of clowns and the nautilus. As long as each one has their own cave or hidey hole.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back