What fish should I get for a 10 gallon?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a small tuna, maybe an Ahi. It will swim a lot in the open areas and eat the smaller gobies that you will have to replace along the way. Once it gets big you can either get a bigger tank or just eat the tuna for lunch. Fresh Ahi makes great sashimi so you don’t have to upgrade if you’re restricted on new aquarium space?

Same issue with the pair of clowns but as I mentioned before the tuna may eat them and that would allow you to keep the same aquarium. It’s a tough choice but most fish will out grow a 10 gallon and that is the biggest restriction for fish in a small reef tank.
Not sure how a tuna would do with an anemone if you get one for the clowns? It might get eaten but the clowns would have a better chance of surviving with one for a hideout.

So, in summary, you are wise to plan for fish that can live happily together in the small space and not grow into an adult size that requires an upgrade. Otherwise, when the fish get too big you can trade them in for new youngsters to keep everyone happy and healthy and comfortable in the tiny tank.

Get a good fish lid before you add fish. :cool:

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a small tuna, maybe an Ahi. It will swim a lot in the open areas and eat the smaller gobies that you will have to replace along the way. Once it gets big you can either get a bigger tank or just eat the tuna for lunch. Fresh Ahi makes great sashimi so you don’t have to upgrade if you’re restricted on new aquarium space?

Same issue with the pair of clowns but as I mentioned before the tuna may eat them and that would allow you to keep the same aquarium. It’s a tough choice but most fish will out grow a 10 gallon and that is the biggest restriction for fish in a small reef tank.
Not sure how a tuna would do with an anemone if you get one for the clowns? It might get eaten but the clowns would have a better chance of surviving with one for a hideout.

So, in summary, you are wise to plan for fish that can live happily together in the small space and not grow into an adult size that requires an upgrade. Otherwise, when the fish get too big you can trade them in for new youngsters to keep everyone happy and healthy and comfortable in the tiny tank.

Get a good fish lid before you add fish. :cool:
I have a 90 gallon and this 10 gallon that doesn’t have fish yet. I think I will go with goby and hope the shark doesn’t eat him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back