What fish to add??

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I have a 30 gallon cube that has been up and running for two months now. Ammonia has been at 0 for over a month and I havent lost on member of my CUC or my fish. I have one Black ray Goby, a Green Mandarin, a Coral-banded shrimp, two Peppermint shrimp, a short spined urchin, amd various snails and hermits. I plan on adding a pistol shrimp to pair up with the goby and I was thinking blue-green chromis so that there will be movement in my tank. The two fish I have now hid ,ost of the time and stay on the bottom. If I do ad the chromis should I do 3 or 5? I don't want to over stock my tank but I know they are schooling fish. Thanks for any and all suggestion.
Virginia

lambchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about Chromis so I can't help you out with that. I ask a little worried about that mandarin though. I had a 30 cube as my first aquarium and loved the look of mandarins. I decided to get one that was eating roe but even with feeding him every day he slowly starved. They really need an established pod population that is being replenished regularly.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a blue green either one or a bunch. In small numbers the dominant one will push out the others. Five would probably be the minimum in my opinion

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about Chromis so I can't help you out with that. I ask a little worried about that mandarin though. I had a 30 cube as my first aquarium and loved the look of mandarins. I decided to get one that was eating roe but even with feeding him every day he slowly starved. They really need an established pod population that is being replenished regularly.

Not only do I feed him frozen I add live copepods every week and live brine shrimp every few days. I am working on cultivating my own copepods. I have a lot of rubble rocks in the back of my tank and have a copepod "hotel" with cheato algae. I will be adding a refugium this month strictly to grow pods. At this point he is very active and always eating. At this point he is nice a fat and I make sure he eats every day. I turn off filter and place food above him and wait until he stops eating before I turn filter back on. He is constantly picking at the live rock and sand. Believe me I watch Kermit like I watched my kids when they were babies. :).

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing some research and it seems like chromis are not the fish for me. I want a very peaceful tank. Any suggestions? I have a FOWLR aquarium and I really want what I have in there already to continue to thrive.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I've never had an aggression issue with my chromis. They've been living in a substantially larger aquarium than yours, but they're just about the most docile fish in the tank. The little school (there are four) will even follow me along the length of the tank during feeding time. Schooling fish can have little spats to establish dominance, but the instances of this I've seen in my chromis have been minimal and short-lived. They all sleep together in a giant coral skeleton and are glued to each other's sides during the day.

Ryan Schaeffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis in my experience are generally a peaceful alternative to damselfish. However, they can start to show signs of aggression towards each other as they get bigger and so the more you have the more the aggression is spread out. Being a 30gal tank though, 5 chromis will eventually out grow and/or crowd the tank in a few years. There are some alternatives if you are looking for that mid-water movement, firefish is one example. Does you 30gal cube have a lid? Most fish that are known for staying in the mid-water, like firefish, tend to be jumpers especially when spooked so a lid, or screen top if its rimless, might be a good investment. Another thing you want to keep in mind it food competition with your mandarin. Sounds like you currently have a good feeding regiment for you mandarin, but adding several fish that may compete with it could become an issue.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that chromis are generally peaceful towards other fish, but can get pretty aggressive amongst themselves. In fact, until recently the only deaths I've had during ttm was a dominant chromis killing the other two chromis with it. The problem I have with chromis is they look so cute and pretty when they're small, but as they grow larger they get uglier. Lots of other fish out there, but hard to find a nice shimmery blue.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that chromis are generally peaceful towards other fish, but can get pretty aggressive amongst themselves. In fact, until recently the only deaths I've had during ttm was a dominant chromis killing the other two chromis with it. The problem I have with chromis is they look so cute and pretty when they're small, but as they grow larger they get uglier. Lots of other fish out there, but hard to find a nice shimmery blue.

I'm not looking for a specific color just some movement in my tank. My top
Broke during the move and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. Never thought about a screen top. I have a homemade acrylic top but the back 2 inches is open because of hob filter. I don't own power tools to cut with so straight line scored and snapped is all I can do. Lol. I love firefight but I know they jump. Any other small peaceful fish that would work with my mandarin?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses will eat pods, so they should not be added. There may be some wrasses that eat pods less, like the flasher variety. They are also more prone to jumping. Anthias are active and beautiful, but they require more frequent feedings. Sometimes the dominant male can be a bit aggressive, but I think Mandarins stay beneath the radar.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I originally wanted to get mandarin, but after seeing all the beautiful wrasses out there, I decided to go with a bunch of wrasses and leave the mandarin dream for the day I find one trained on frozen food.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I originally wanted to get mandarin, but after seeing all the beautiful wrasses out there, I decided to go with a bunch of wrasses and leave the mandarin dream for the day I find one trained on frozen food.

My mandarin, Kermit, does eat frozen. I got very lucky. I also add live pods and live brine shrimp. I baby him and make sure he eats. Would a clown be ok in my tank. I need something for movement that is peaceful to everyone. I don't want to have a fish harass another fish to death. I also don't want to over stock my tank. I'll be adding a hob fish breeder that I'm going to use as a refugium strictly to cultivate copepods. If I have to stick to gobies in will. I just would like fish that aren't quiet so shy.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses will eat pods, so they should not be added. There may be some wrasses that eat pods less, like the flasher variety. They are also more prone to jumping. Anthias are active and beautiful, but they require more frequent feedings. Sometimes the dominant male can be a bit aggressive, but I think Mandarins stay beneath the radar.

Don't Anthias require a large tank. We purchased one for our classroom tank and he is beautiful but he's also in a semi aggressive tank. ( it's a 29 gal bio cube. Teacher who purchased the fish wasn't told that the tank was too small). We might be given a 150 gal tank to set up In the classroom as well so if that happens we will move him.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly an Allen's damsel? They have a nice bit of colour and I have found them to be less troublesone than the averge damsel, plus they stay small!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't Anthias require a large tank. We purchased one for our classroom tank and he is beautiful but he's also in a semi aggressive tank. ( it's a 29 gal bio cube. Teacher who purchased the fish wasn't told that the tank was too small). We might be given a 150 gal tank to set up In the classroom as well so if that happens we will move him.

Yes you're right, perhaps that is too small for anthia. A clown would be fine. I think the order that you introduce your fish is important in reducing aggression, from least aggressive to more aggressive. But if your goal is to have a completely peaceful tank, it might be a little boring too and could definitely limit your fish selection.

I think reef keeping is all about managing risk. If your mandarin is eating frozen that makes it much easier to introduce additional fish. The knock against clown fish are they might not be what you're looking for in terms of an open swimmer. My pair are in the corner dancing in their own world against the glass. Unless there is a nem to host, I find them kinda boring now.

I say, take some risks! I don't think you'll get a crazy aggressive fish, and even if you do, it can be removed.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Sapphire Damsel (springeri) that is a model citizen in my tank, which is 57g. Not sure if less room would cause it to be more territorial, but people tend to have success with these guys

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a pseudochromis the other day. He's doing great so far. I was told he would be fine in my tank with my mandarin but I have read that they can be aggressive Is this true? If he will cause issues with Kermit I will donate him to my classroom tank. If he will be ok with Kermit what else can I add. Would like another fish that stays out in the open and swims around. I won't be too disappointed if I am at my fish limit but I was just wondering if there is one or two more I can add

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that Pseudochromis can get along OK with fish who were there before them ... but may not be as welcoming to fish who arrive after them.

Some are better than others, but some can be lethal.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that Pseudochromis can get along OK with fish who were there before them ... but may not be as welcoming to fish who arrive after them.

Some are better than others, but some can be lethal.

~Bruce

Guess I'm done adding fish then. :(. Unless I decide on another goby/pistol shrimp pair. I'm ok with that. I want the fish I have to thrive. I'll be getting another 29gal long tank soon. Still trying to decide if I'm going to go with salt water or fresh.
e7707c10170ce08a8627bd94169c2eeb.jpg

Sonny. Wanted another so I could have Sonny and Cher but oh well. Lol

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearranged my rock work. Now I can better see my fish. I can even see my pistol shrimp and goby in their little cave.
1b8f2a12836a0fe4e5f98b03dbef9f52.jpg
834b2655f14cbffd27b08f3d69c11f0a.jpg

Before on top
After on bottom

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back