OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a watchman goby today. Hoping he gets along with my pistol shrimp. Also picked up some gracilaria algae. Was hoping my short spined urchin would snack on it. Plus it's pretty. Lol
d496da6cc362e4a8bddb861f213c6c10.jpg

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well going to have to give Sunny (pseudochromis) away. He started viciously attacking the goby even this I completely rearranged the tank. He's inside my very large net hanging in the tank until I can take him to the school in the morning

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better if I added more live rock? I try and have as many caves as I can because my fish like them. Thinking about adding a pair of maroon clowns. To have a pair is it true that you just need to get two with one being larger so that one turns into a male and the other stays female? Guess it's time to do some research.
a749351fde4febd2c6da9218905625a7.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger clownfish will become a female, but with maroons she needs to _really_ like him ... or she'll make him go away, and wait for you to bring a new suitor.

Maroons can be pretty rugged, from what I've deciphered - which is one reason I've never felt the need to try them.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger clownfish will become a female, but with maroons she needs to _really_ like him ... or she'll make him go away, and wait for you to bring a new suitor.

Maroons can be pretty rugged, from what I've deciphered - which is one reason I've never felt the need to try them.

~Bruce

With having only a 30 gal cube would it be better to just have one. Stupid question but what do you mean by rugged? Lol. Would I be better off with a different type?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, "rugged" means aggressive.

In a 30 cube, you'd be _much_ better off with a different kind of clown. Maroons are also the _biggest_ of the clownfish, and I've seen pairs that would look cramped in a 65.

Ocellaris or percula clowns stay quite a bit smaller, and are rather less aggressive as well. The pink and orange skunk clowns also fall into this smaller / nicer group.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, "rugged" means aggressive.

In a 30 cube, you'd be _much_ better off with a different kind of clown. Maroons are also the _biggest_ of the clownfish, and I've seen pairs that would look cramped in a 65.

Ocellaris or percula clowns stay quite a bit smaller, and are rather less aggressive as well. The pink and orange skunk clowns also fall into this smaller / nicer group.

~Bruce

Thank you. Glad I didn't purchase them today. Maybe I'll wait.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this baby today. It was suggested to drip acclimate him. Would that be the best way to do it or can I float acclimate him?
d72b78eb25f0581d36bd31eda2d852f9.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hope the little fellow's in by now, but I usually drip acclimate, unless I -know- that the salinity of my tank water is precisely the same as the water in the bag. If it's going to take a bit of a while (try not to let it go _too_ long, as ammonia can build up!) I'll run an airstone in the drip bucket, and then when I'm done dripping, I'll float the fish to temperature acclimate.

I've rarely lost a fish during acclimation - it's shortly _after_ that that things seem to often go south. (>_<)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hope the little fellow's in by now, but I usually drip acclimate, unless I -know- that the salinity of my tank water is precisely the same as the water in the bag. If it's going to take a bit of a while (try not to let it go _too_ long, as ammonia can build up!) I'll run an airstone in the drip bucket, and then when I'm done dripping, I'll float the fish to temperature acclimate.

I've rarely lost a fish during acclimation - it's shortly _after_ that that things seem to often go south. (>_<)

~Bruce

I drip acclimated him for 40+ minutes. Then I floated him for a little bit. When I put him in the tank he started swimming around exploring. I turned off the filter and fed the fish. He acted like he hadn't been fed in a long time. Quickly gobbling up food. He looks and acts like he's adjusting really well. I love the fact that he doesn't swim away and hid when I sit in front of the tank. Seems like he's going to have a great personality. One question I have is can I add another clown later or will that cause issues? So far I adore the little fella.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to add another - either while this one's still very small, or if later, add a very small clown. They can turn female fairly early if they're on their own, and once they do the won't well tolerate another female's presence.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked on Trey (clownfish) and he's still swimming around. Tank lights are out but room light was on. He's swimming around at the top of the tank. There are lots of caves in my rockwork but it seems he's staying at the top. Is this normal. Could it be he's just trying to settle in? He ate both times I fed the fish. Frozen hikari brine shrimp with spirulina and flake food. Am I being paranoid? Should have seen me the first time I saw my manderian sleeping. :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can be ... odd.

They'll generally (in the absence of an anemone, and sometimes in the presence of one) choose a corner-like spot to spend the night. My pair are currently being "hosted" by my heater, and sleep between the heater and the corner of the tank.

Warm & cozy, I suppose!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little clown is doing great. He begs for food every time I sit in front of the tank. I have been feeding him (either flakes, frozen, and freeze dried) three times a day. Is that too much or not enough? Im hoping to get him/her a friend this weekend. I hope it's not to late because it would be really hard to find a smaller one. He is so small yet.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish on the reef eat often throughout the day ... but they don't eat much at one sitting.

Thrice a day should be fine, but tiny portions for tiny tummies.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if I can add a starfish to my tank and if so when? Would it be better just to not have a starfish? I was thinking a sand sifting star.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice pair of clowns would do really well in there along with a goby or something similar

I have one clown, a manderian, a watchman goby/pistol shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, a coral banded shrimp and a good cuc. Was just wondering if I could add a star. If it's not a good idea I'm fine with that. I'll just add another clown and be done. I do t want to add anything that wouldn't be happy and healthy in my tank. I'm very attached to all of my fish and I want what's best. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back