What fish to add??

Kaytuu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had no problems with chromis before. Maybe a clown or try a blenny.. they're usually my favorite fish in the tank!

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had no problems with chromis before. Maybe a clown or try a blenny.. they're usually my favorite fish in the tank!

I'm afraid a blenny would be too much a competitor for Kermit. I read I should avoid other bottom feeders because manderains are slow eaters. Think
I'll just wait awhile and see how everything goes with what I have now. Thanks for the ideas though

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d80d6c851368df8599c66183b6e63134.jpg

Coral thinks she's the boss of the tank. The fish do seem to be scared of her. Lol

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get a pair of clowns. One thing that you'll notice the longer you're in the hobby, is that there aren't really "tiers" of aggression like in freshwater. The boundaries of peaceful, semi-agressive, aggressive, etc tend to blur. It's more about finding the right mix, the order of which they are introduced, and the size of the specimen. A small, aggressive damsel will likely not bother a peaceful chromis if said chromis is twice the size of the damsel. For a 30 gallon, I would certainly have a clown or two. Maybe even a dwarf angel (flame, coral beauty, bicolor, etc); however, that is somewhat pushing it. All the fish in this hobby are aggressive in some form. Clowns are aggressive to other clowns that aren't their mate. Damsels hate everything that gets near their territory. Chromis pick each other off. Tangs hate other similarly shaped tangs. Lionfish eat everything. You get the gist.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get a pair of clowns. One thing that you'll notice the longer you're in the hobby, is that there aren't really "tiers" of aggression like in freshwater. The boundaries of peaceful, semi-agressive, aggressive, etc tend to blur. It's more about finding the right mix, the order of which they are introduced, and the size of the specimen. A small, aggressive damsel will likely not bother a peaceful chromis if said chromis is twice the size of the damsel. For a 30 gallon, I would certainly have a clown or two. Maybe even a dwarf angel (flame, coral beauty, bicolor, etc); however, that is somewhat pushing it. All the fish in this hobby are aggressive in some form. Clowns are aggressive to other clowns that aren't their mate. Damsels hate everything that gets near their territory. Chromis pick each other off. Tangs hate other similarly shaped tangs. Lionfish eat everything. You get the gist.

My main concern when adding new fish is my manderian. I tried fish from petco and they both died. Only the two fish ( manderian and pseudochromis) that I purchased at my LFS are thriving. I now have a pistol shrimp with no goby so I think I will find him one before I add anything else. I like unusual fish so maybe a pair of ocellaris clowns would work. As long as I don't have to have a anenome they will work.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern when adding new fish is my manderian. I tried fish from petco and they both died. Only the two fish ( manderian and pseudochromis) that I purchased at my LFS are thriving. I now have a pistol shrimp with no goby so I think I will find him one before I add anything else. I like unusual fish so maybe a pair of ocellaris clowns would work. As long as I don't have to have a anenome they will work.
The majority of the fish you add will ignore the mandarin. Not sure if I would consider ocellaris clowns unusual though. Just about every person in the hobby has had a clown :)

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of the fish you add will ignore the mandarin. Not sure if I would consider ocellaris clowns unusual though. Just about every person in the hobby has had a clown :)

Well I guess ocellaris clowns are more unusual than Nemo clowns. Lol.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have an OC clown. Very active. Hyper actually. Very social. A little like a puppy, always looks happy to see you.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess ocellaris clowns are more unusual than Nemo clowns. Lol.
Standard occelaris (and sometimes percula) clowns are the "Nemo" clowns.

Regardless, you could get a designer clown to be a bit different. I have a Wyoming White Occelaris; beautiful clown. Look up some of the morphs offered by ORA and Sustainable Aquatics- plenty to choose from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard occelaris (and sometimes percula) clowns are the "Nemo" clowns.

Regardless, you could get a designer clown to be a bit different. I have a Wyoming White Occelaris; beautiful clown. Look up some of the morphs offered by ORA and Sustainable Aquatics- plenty to choose from.

My bad. I thought they were the black and white ones. My bad. Would love to have Black Percula.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Do I need special lights to have a live anemone for a clown fish?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are pretty photosynthetic - they have plantlike organisms that live inside their bodies, called zooxanthellae. You'll need similar lights to the ones used for growing corals, though I don't know for certain what each species of anemone's light needs are.

Clownfish don't _require_ an anemone, although they're pretty cool together. Sometimes, even when they _have_ an anemone, the clowns just don't go there.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are pretty photosynthetic - they have plantlike organisms that live inside their bodies, called zooxanthellae. You'll need similar lights to the ones used for growing corals, though I don't know for certain what each species of anemone's light needs are.

Clownfish don't _require_ an anemone, although they're pretty cool together. Sometimes, even when they _have_ an anemone, the clowns just don't go there.

~Bruce

Thanks for the response.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the species of anemone you get as well. A lot of clowns favor one species over another. However, be wary of carpet anemones; they will readily eat your other fish.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the species of anemone you get as well. A lot of clowns favor one species over another. However, be wary of carpet anemones; they will readily eat your other fish.

Think I'll just pass on the anemone. Can't have anything hurting my Kermit. Lol

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of goby pairs best with a pistol shrimp? My black ray goby died so his shrimp buddy is all alone now.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Stonogobiops (including the blackray), yellow watchman, aurora ... it's a moderately long list, IIRC . . . Different species pair with different species of shrimp, though. Is yours a randalli?

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really know. Picked it up at petco. He's a light grayish tan and pretty small. He loved Zippy my black ray. Both of them became more social when I finally added the pistol. Now I never see the pistol shrimp unless I have to move rocks around.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
432ec6ca493ceb6de2fa011b05a724cb.png

looks like this only smaller. He's never out so I dot. Have any pictures. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back