What % frags do you think have survived?

Spkarim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on my first reef tank

Wondering how many of your frags do you think survive say 6 months or 1 year?

So I can be better mentally (and financially) prepared

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol when I first started... 25% and that was probably a high estimate.

All depends on what you type of coral you try first, how well you stay on your parameters, and if you use live rock or not.

After a year I was 50% or better and now I rarely have losses and typically only on new additions that just don’t settle in well.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it depends on lots of factors. Skill level, what types of corals, how mature the tank is, equipment, husbandry, just to name a few. When I was a newbie, it was probably 90% success. I did start with softies and easy LPS

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first make sure your tank has cycled correctly then make sure you keep parameters stable then when you buy corals make sure you get them from known vendors and they look hardy some places have guarantees look into it but pretty much if you keep everything stable everything could survive start with softies and lps corals first then go from there

CelticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you have better luck keeping frags alive from local sources, shipping can be tough on some species. You will find certain coral will like your tank more depending on how stable , clean or dirty it is. So this is probably the best way to plan lots of local guys will give freebie frags to see if things survive in your tank before you go braking the bank. ....How much work you put in and research on the species needs along with making sure parameters are stable will go along way in keeping things alive.....I would also note if you can’t test for it don’t dose it adding additives usually goes bad quickly without proper test kits.

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what you buy. If you start out with some good tough frags in the beginning after you cycle, you will be able to keep a bunch. If you buy a ton of SPS and throw it in without letting the tank mature, you can count your receipts as everything turns white.

You going to spend a good amount of money regardless. But if you start slow, be patient and learns to keep your water steady. You burn much less.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I only lost 10% in the first year. I was terrified about losing coral and started out with just easy stuff. Then I tried a bubble tip and it wasn’t successful.

Then I got adventurous a couple years down the line and I lose probably 25%-30%....probably not that high but I’ll realize after a while that I’m missing something I bought a year ago and have no clue where it went.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on a year and haven’t lost a coral. I’ve tried to get a decent variety, to see what would/wouldn’t be successful in my tank..but have learned nothing because everything has thrived! Started with softies and LPS, then got some entry level SPS and a Goni. Will be trying acropora next, so I’m sure that will change lol

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we all hope for no coral death, they do die. Sometimes the reason is a mystery. Other times we can make an educated guess as to why they died. Some of the beginner corals are very robust and almost impossible to outright kill them. On the flip side, there are still corals that we dont yet know how to properly care for and they will die in time.
There are no guarantees, read and learn a lot, ask for help and go slow. You will keep your losses to a minimum.
Cheers! Mark

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my tank I was a little ahead of my tank and bought frags I shouldn't have. So reality is I lost about 60% the first year.. once the system caught up to my coral taste I maybe loose 3 or 4 frags a year. Usually within the first week after getting them. Once they're entrusting it's rare they die unless they get knocked off or damaged.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my frags survived. Only frags I’ve lost were a few acans because they just don’t like my current setup for some reason. I haven’t given up hope yet though. The key is just studying your tank, knowing your parameters and stepping in when you see the coral looking like it’s struggling. If you’re a good reef keeper, you will maintain your water correctly and the only reason you should lose coral is because the particular piece doesn’t like your tank. I have close to 20 species of zoas and palys in my tank. 19 of them are thriving and growing like weeds while only one frag hates the tank for some reason.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started less than 10 months ago and have bought probably 20 frags by my count.
1 was eaten by my puffer (Acan)
1 I completely forgot to take out of the coolor and left for a day

Mostly soft and LPS but if you start with the fairly hardy species I think you will find its not a terrible loss ratio. Fish on the other hand...

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on a year and haven’t lost a coral. I’ve tried to get a decent variety, to see what would/wouldn’t be successful in my tank..but have learned nothing because everything has thrived! Started with softies and LPS, then got some entry level SPS and a Goni. Will be trying acropora next, so I’m sure that will change lol
You and I discussed this the other day @Magellan . You are so lucky and everyone needs to be jealous of you -- plus your tank looks great. :p

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on my first reef tank

Wondering how many of your frags do you think survive say 6 months or 1 year?

So I can be better mentally (and financially) prepared
I’ve only lost one fungia in almost two years. I’ve got tons of coral. I’ve gone through spells where they shrank in the beginning. I’ll edit if I can think of any else. Fish are a different story.

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie I threw money into my tank.... and watched it turn into algae . Thought I could buy my way into a beautiful tank... didn't want frags... noooooo they wouldn't take my money fast enough... I needed colony's! Sps's colony's... I laugh now at how I went at it when I started. Nothing determines success like husbandry... bottom line... even with apex and checking everything... if you don't fix the problem you will have an abyss of death. Now my tank is happy and healthy and I'm beyond putting just anything in my tank. Decisions must be made early on to determine what percentage will survive

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A magnetic in tank frag rack has done wonders for my success. Allows for a better acclimation to my lighting. There’s been a couple times recently I messed up and glued a frag in too high of light and looked pretty rough with bleaching and tissue loss. Took em off and plopped them on the frag rack low and they made complete recovery. Would definitely consider it a necessary piece of equipment now. Haven’t lost anything since I been using it for all my new frags and gradually raising up to higher lighting. Just remember the center of the tank has way more lighting than the sides at the same height, so you can raise the frag rack up pretty high on the glass before choosing a final location for the coral.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I discussed this the other day @Magellan . You are so lucky and everyone needs to be jealous of you -- plus your tank looks great. :p
Growing up, my dad always said I had a lucky horseshoe stuck up my butt. Now I’m on the wrong side of 30, and he still says it!

And thank you! I do my best :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back