What GFO do you use?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planing ahead to run 50% or less strength on GFO with Carbon in a reactor.

it seems like this is pretty popular, if you have something better, please comment. Thanks

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At BRS site there’s high capacity and the regular one, which one is more popular and why?

besides BRS, what other brand of GFO do you guys use?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up purchasing the BRS high capacity one 1.75lb for my 120g. Recommended dosage 1cup, but I will only run 1/2 with full dose of carbon in a reactor. That should last me about 6 months for around $60. It’s about the same cost as chemipure but GFO should be slightly better.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos.

I've used HC GFO and think it works well, just prefer Rowaphos myself. If you're starting off, i'd use 1/3-1/2 the amount and check the effluent of the reactor; sometimes it can exhaust quickly if your PO4 is already high. What is it, btw?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos.

I've used HC GFO and think it works well, just prefer Rowaphos myself. If you're starting off, i'd use 1/3-1/2 the amount and check the effluent of the reactor; sometimes it can exhaust quickly if your PO4 is already high. What is it, btw?
If you were asking my level, it’s around .35 now

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO works best when tumbled. I had carbon and GFO together in a reactor and didn't get the results I wanted. Plus the carbon exhausts faster than the GFO meaning good GFO is getting thrown out. I agree with the comment above in starting with a small amount because it will strip phosphates rather quickly.

For what's worth I use the high capacity only because it tends not to break up as easy as the standard GFO.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planing ahead to run 50% or less strength on GFO with Carbon in a reactor.

it seems like this is pretty popular, if you have something better, please comment. Thanks

None.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO works best when tumbled. I had carbon and GFO together in a reactor and didn't get the results I wanted. Plus the carbon exhausts faster than the GFO meaning good GFO is getting thrown out. I agree with the comment above in starting with a small amount because it will strip phosphates rather quickly.

For what's worth I use the high capacity only because it tends not to break up as easy as the standard GFO.

I guess since I am only using 35-50% and replace it once a month, it’s cost effective. $45 will last about 6 months, that’s not bad.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for everyone but it works nice and smooth for me, don’t have to really do anything other than turn a light on and off twice a day.
Well, that’s why I will stick with the gfo route first. I had great success with macro algae before but all died out and can’t grow them now even with high phosphate. Then I had an algae bloom and wiped out most of the culerpas I had.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back