What goes in refugium?

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on putting chateau in the refugium along with some extra sponges for the QT tank filter when I need them. Anything else you put in there? Should I put some extra rock in? What's in yours?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chat only is the simplest and easiest.
Extra live rock adds Bio filtration. I like to avoid rubble as it collect detritus. Im big on cleaning. Chato is cool. Also look at dragons tongue and dragons breath. I like diversity. but some macros have special needs your fuge may not provide.Those are just options to have fun with.
Just like th DT there's a bit of see how it goes too. If the flow is a bit low you many not want to add too much stuff. You may want to add a CUC, but if theres not a lot of food in there you may not need too.
IMO start simple, and see where it goes.

Whats in mine? 3in DSB, several pounds of LR, Chato 2 kinds of caulerpa , a couple types of "dragons breath", common feather dusters, stomatellas , limpets, all kinds of pods.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have matrix as the bottom because my last one I had sand and it always ended up in my return section, not a lot mind you but still. Then live rock I just got from Tampa bay and a bunch of algae, random kinds but no cheto because I don't want high flow

vdigiorgio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Chato and miracle mud.. It does wonders for my tank. check out some of the videos on youtube( leng sy).. you have to keep the fuge lit 24hr a day

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the responses. Here's a pic of my fuge. Just got the clamp light today
IMG_0293.JPG

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the responses. Here's a pic of my fuge. Just got the clamp light today
IMG_0293.JPG

Cool! Is that a lifereef? I've looked at their standalone ones online. What are your impressions so far? It looks really nice!

Would you show how you have the return line plumbed into your sump? (I'm assuming that's what the fitting at the front of the refugium is, am I correct?)

Sorry for all the questions, it's a really cool design and I really want to understand it. :)

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to get a bulb for the light. Thinking of getting one from HD that is 60W, 5000K 1000 lumens. Would that be good?

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have miracle mud, chaeto, 3 different types of algae, pods, mysis, and macro brittle stars. Occassionally I have stray snails that make the journey from my DT as well :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back