What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my bulkhead is leaking. What's the best way to tighten?
-What's your water parameters?

My clowns laid eggs. How long until they hatch?
-What's you water parameters?

Recommend a skimmer for 300 gallon tank?

How do I tell the difference between a male and female Banggai Cardinal?

How many snails are too many for a 90 gallon?

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my bulkhead is leaking. What's the best way to tighten?

My clowns laid eggs. How long until they hatch?
-What's you water parameters?

Recommend a skimmer for 300 gallon tank?

How do I tell the difference between a male and female Banggai Cardinal?

How many snails are too many for a 90 gallon?
Ha! I got banned from RC (no loss at all, honestly) for something like this. I asked about an issue I was having. I clearly stated in the OP that I had been reefing for a long time and tested my water and every parameter was normal. Then some guy insisted I post the parameters and I refused, he started a bunch of crap and they banned us both.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who ask for input and then take it personal when they get it! I always have liked constructive criticism, it's how I grow!;)
People wondering why things are dying or having trouble with their systems and say that all their water parameters are perfect yet won't share the actual numbers, what and how they are testing. If you don't know what you are doing and you don't wish to share so people can offer proper guidance or solutions, then why bother asking? If im doing something wrong, I would like to know what that wrong thing is so I can make an adjustment to save my tank. Letting things die or continually making the same mistakes for no reason is just wrong. You shouldn't be in the hobby to sacrifice animals.

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when people go on inappropriate rants in sale threads. Like if someone is trying to sell a fish in a thread, that thread is not the place to argue about how prices of fish have skyrocketed, how the price is unfair, etc...
If you must comment on the post, make it quick. Say that you think the price is high quickly, and don’t make it personal. I reccently saw someone’s posting on a yellow tang for sale becomes three pages of people complaining about the price of the fish, how the fish’s price has increased everywhere, and even taking personal shots on the seller. A SELL THREAD IS NOT THE PLACE FOR SUCH DEBATE!!!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also get a little annoyed when people ask for help on IDing or something and post a picture with only blue lights on.
like I know you are new and stuff, but it’s easy to tell when your picture is unclear and blurry. If you can barely tell what’s going on in your own picture, odds are people online will have an even more difficult time.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Self proclaimed “high end” “professional” frag sellers. If you’re so well known and awesome, then start a legit business and help the hobby as a whole. Until then, it’s just a forum bro...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I also get a little annoyed when people ask for help on IDing or something and post a picture with only blue lights on.
like I know you are new and stuff, but it’s easy to tell when your picture is unclear and blurry. If you can barely tell what’s going on in your own picture, odds are people online will have an even more difficult time.
Need a snail I.d.

255CB5E6-FA61-4DC2-BEA0-E0884E7E1000.jpeg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’ve got a few new ones lol.

1) Posters that insistently tag other people without adding anything of meaning to the thread.

2) People that dominate threads to the point of driving others away from participating in the forums.

3) Folks that insist that ‘everything has to be something’ on ID threads.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you littlebigreef:

Are you guys using primer when hard plumbing your tanks? Thanks, Joe.

-That's a fantastic question, Joe! I can tell you have put a lot of thought into your reef. I bet it's going to be super based on your question! Thanks for asking. Did I mention that's a fantastic question? And I'm sure it's going to really help our community out. I've thought about the same thing from time to time. Unfortunately, I have an all in one, and have never done any hard plumbing myself:( Be sure to post some photos when you get some water in your tank. Can't wait to see it. In the mean time, let's see if we can get you some help.

@ Ron, @ Tim, @ Sam, @ John, @ Mike, @ Tom, @ Mark, @ Ryan, @ Eric, @ Bob, @ Noah, @ James, @ Jeff, @ Jacob, @ Dan, @ Jack, @ Matt, @ David, @ Luke, @ Jay, @ Leo, @ Chris, @ Andy, @ Josh, @ Nolan, @ Connor, @ Miles, @ Carson, @ Luke, @ Jose, @ Evan, @ Dylan, @ Austin, @ Adam

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open ended threads. They are so useless down the road when someone is trying to do some research. I always try and come back and update my threads with results and whether or not something worked.

It's like:

Why is my anemone dying? Then you get five or six helpful answers, and nothing. No idea if the anemone died or if something helped or whatever.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
For you littlebigreef:

Are you guys using primer when hard plumbing your tanks? Thanks, Joe.

-That's a fantastic question, Joe! I can tell you have put a lot of thought into your reef. I bet it's going to be super based on your question! Thanks for asking. Did I mention that's a fantastic question? And I'm sure it's going to really help our community out. I've thought about the same thing from time to time. Unfortunately, I have an all in one, and have never done any hard plumbing myself:( Be sure to post some photos when you get some water in your tank. Can't wait to see it. In the mean time, let's see if we can get you some help.

@ Ron, @ Tim, @ Sam, @ John, @ Mike, @ Tom, @ Mark, @ Ryan, @ Eric, @ Bob, @ Noah, @ James, @ Jeff, @ Jacob, @ Dan, @ Jack, @ Matt, @ David, @ Luke, @ Jay, @ Leo, @ Chris, @ Andy, @ Josh, @ Nolan, @ Connor, @ Miles, @ Carson, @ Luke, @ Jose, @ Evan, @ Dylan, @ Austin, @ Adam
Because only fing @ Ron knows about primer. I’m seeing one fan boy not even type anything other than the tag .

Well played @vtecintegra

I’ll add ‘not doing a lick of research’ as #4. Saw a post were someone was dipping, another poster ask with an air of authority ‘why did you do this dip?’ Respondent said ‘because I researched.’ Made my heart melt. As a dev who deals with problems daily and has to ask questions to the community the first question you’re asked is ‘what did you research/what did you try.’

Last edited:

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naming corals, and only using trade names. dang near impossible to know if a Monti is entrusting digitata or cap, or an acro is tabling or a stag without spending way to much time nowadays. Then again I guess when you plan to frag and flip when it hits 2" minicolony size it doesn't matter.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two I can add the last few months which i'll Never understand:

"EMERGENCY" - My fish won't eat Brine shrimp. What is going on ?? This is an emergency ????

HELP I.D. -
I bought these 4 corals at store today and dont know what they are !!!
You bought coral from a pet store- They dont know what they are either? Ever think to take a picture of the label or make a note on the reciept which may contain that info already ? DO YOU BUY AN AIRLINE TICKET BUT HAVE KNOW CLUE WHERE YOU'RE FLYING TO ??

That is an emergency. Even I would eat brine shrimp. o_O

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who dont use punctuation has this already been posted i don't know cause i always skip to the end without reading any of the posts is this bad i don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back