What Happens to Berghia's After?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last couple months, and especially of late with exploding numbers, they've gone on a campaign of genocide against the abominations. Fast coming is the day aiptasia will be no more.

Whats next? I assume the Berghia's will all starve to death? Do I have to worry about ammonia or nutrient spikes in a 55 gallon? Or will they die off, but a few remnants survive, picking off stragglers or new growth?

What about the equipment? I've seen aiptasia in my protein skimmer, is that just begging to have a resurgence later? Though I think once I saw a lone berghia conducting a covert raid into the skimmer.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought some websites offer "nudy rentals" that you can return after your aiptasia is done. Otherwise, the humane thing is to capture them and give them to another local reefer who has aiptasia problems. seems like a waste to just let them starve to death.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die, unless you can capture them and move them to a new home - which you won't be able to unless you're very lucky. Their impact on nutrients is minimal, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

They will not achieve full aiptasia elimination unless you're very lucky, but they will have beaten it back to more manageable levels. If you want to increase the odds of that, you can always pipette up any berghia that you do see and move them close to your remaining aiptasia.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just leave them to expire as i know if i tried to get cute by reselling them or something i'd end up with a massive outbreak 2 weeks later.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to employ 4 methods at the same time to rid Aptasia
6 berghia, 2 sticks of epoxy and a large bottle of Aptasia-x, and 4 months of killing them + nothing goes in the DT without being QTd and throughly checked.

Is now been 4 months, no sign of berghia, but no signs of Aptasia either.

Iam starting to think I won.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 4,and last count was at least a dozen or more. At night, it would actually be pretty easy to catch them off the rocks and glass. However, given my location, I don't think there is anyone nearby that needs them, otherwise I would.

If the last remaining patch of aiptasia wasn't on the keystone rock of a big arch, I'd throw it into my 20 gallon to try and breed the aiptasia. I've grown fond of seeing the Berghia's rolling around the tank. They're cool little animals.

Attachments

• DSC_3157.JPG
    DSC_3157.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 38

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 10 in and it has been a minute now I have little ones everywhere. Aptasia is disappearing one by one. I hope they get them all . My 125 has them everywhere

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back