What HAVE I done?

H2ODude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking this all in with an appropriate attitude, I think. Had freshwater tanks over the years, dropped out about 10 years ago. Been retired about 8 years and was looking for something besides woodworking. I guess I should add that I retired from the water and wastewater utility business so was intrigued by the central theme of the nitrogen cycle, something I used to deal with quite a bit. How difficult can this be? OK, get off the floor and stop laughing. Had some extra cash lying around and went to LFS. (See how advanced I am? I know an ACRONYM!). Contemplated for a week or so on 125 and went back and really liked the look of a 70 gallon Waterbox. Had been a demo at the national show so it was (I thought) a pretty good deal, really liked the sump that fit in the stand just right, had skimmer, Kissel light in the package. Paid the man to come set it up and was prepared to even pay for "servicing" if that seemed intimidating at first until I learned. AND THEN I STARTED READING HERE ON R2R. O. M. G. Like the proverbial deer caught in about 37 headlights. Those degrees in engineering and biology back in early 70's seem pretty useless NOW!

Anyway, having had my mortality virginity lost this morning (clown on the sand gasping) I feel ill prepared to deal with this. Mainly because in two days I'd already gotten attached to the little guys, who knew you love a fish? So anyway I'm loading up the cadaver and a water sample to go back to the man and see what he thinks.

So that's me. And FWIW I'm a big DIY, having built houses, furniture, etc and for me to just buy a setup like this not the normal me. I admire the many here who slowly and with care built their systems. I'm old, impatient now, and can afford to do a "what the heck? Let's just do this!) So I did. And NOW I have a lot to learn and hopefully can build the herd (slowly) from my start of 4 fish, a shrimp, and some small corals. And may I say there are some amazing threads here.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif

#WelcometoR2R

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family and welcome to the salt life. A fellow woodworker and salt water nerd...there are several of us here. My friend @jsker is just one of many and he'll be along with his greeting as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Glad you joined us !!

welcome36.jpg

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started several months ago. I thought my tank was good enough for 2 clowns after a week. They also took eternal sand naps.

Get ready to have a million Google tabs open on your browser anytime you have the smallest question.

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I hope you find the new challenges of saltwater rewarding. There's always something new/exciting to learn and we all have bumps/failures along the way. "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." ~Alfred. You got this! #staysalty

download.jpeg

OP
OP
H

H2ODude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long between filling the tank and putting fish in?

This hobby isn’t that complex. A lot can go wrong, but the central themes a certainly less complex than your former job
About one day. Used the seed bacteria, and must admit that it seemed prudent to wait a few days, but guy who set it up from LFS said would be OK. Have been impressed with him but time will tell.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

No bashing stuff from the 1970's ;)
70's stuff still gets the job done just fine (note my very young kids in profile pic.. lol)

Sorry about your clownfish. It's good to be attached to them and, frankly, it's good to lose one earlier on so you can see that it can and does happen and let that unpleasant feeling sink in before you really fill it up.

Glad to have you with us. Looking forward to beautiful pics.

spockwelcome.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
H

H2ODude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long between filling the tank and putting fish in?

This hobby isn’t that complex. A lot can go wrong, but the central themes a certainly less complex than your former job
Hey, if I don't have to deal with the press or city council I can stand complexity! You're making me think. Like the time the plant with the biology to treat 40 million gallons a day of sewage lost both incoming power feeds. Installed couple of million $ of gensets after that. I've wondered about backup for the reef tank, but we've never lost for more than a few hours here, so I'll just wait on that.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back