What have I unleashed.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just got footage of the most terrifying creature I’ve ever seen. Can somebody explain what I am looking at besides a amphipods bloating up to twice it’s size then a some kind of head bursts out? There’s way more than that. I’ve had problems with these things in the past and they crashed all of my tanks both times and caused me to take a long hiatus From the hobby. How to I eradicate these things?
Thank you
EDIT: Link to video because file to large to upload here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyTpYUAprNz8PvxCA

Last edited:

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can only see amphipods and couple if what looks like unhappy palythoas is there any fish in the tank at all they would enjoy them pods

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I saw one of the amphipods literally explode. I added the amphipods on purpose. I get paranoid sometimes so good to know my eyes were playing tricks on me!

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on adding some fish soon what's the plan for your tank
Too small for fish in my opinion. I'm building a separate 29g display+10g sump/reefugium currently because I'm tired of the size restrictions, fluctuating water parameters, not enough room for equipment to solve these water parameter issues, and poor survivability rates in the 3 gallon pictured. I have a tuxedo urchin which is my favorite and has been in the tank for nearly its whole existence, a couple bluelegged hermit crabs, and bumblebee snails. The only stoney coral that is doing well (has been better) is a hydaphora, the faviitees is shedding tissues heavily and seems to be infested with vermitid or some other types of snail and aptaisia within its skeleton so it will probably die soon. Removing the glass anemonae was a breeze compared to the vermidit worms. Tried to cover their holes in the coral skeleton base with super glue which may have slowed them down but couldn't stop their spread.
But to get back to your question of my plans for it, I plan to use the tank as practice to hone in my husbandry skills by trying to nurse all of the corals in the tank back to health, keep steady parameters by regular testing and responding to changing test data. Basically the 3g tank is to make sure that I won't **** up on my new 29g+10g sump tank that I have invested a lot more time and money into. After that I can convert the tiny tank into a quarantine tank.

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought amphipods were kind of cute. I even keep terrestrial isopods. I just don't like it when I think I see parasites bursting out of them lol..

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought amphipods were kind of cute. I even keep terrestrial isopods. I just don't like it when I think I see parasites bursting out of them lol..
When you say amphipod doubling it's size and parasites bursting out of them,I immediately think they molting,could it be this thats happenning maybe?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your explaination makes the most sense as to what I actually saw. Seems more plausible.
Maybe yes,but anything possible In nature,once seen a rodent with a parasite on it and on the parasite was another parasite but smaller ha ha

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too small for fish in my opinion. I'm building a separate 29g display+10g sump/reefugium currently because I'm tired of the size restrictions, fluctuating water parameters, not enough room for equipment to solve these water parameter issues, and poor survivability rates in the 3 gallon pictured. I have a tuxedo urchin which is my favorite and has been in the tank for nearly its whole existence, a couple bluelegged hermit crabs, and bumblebee snails. The only stoney coral that is doing well (has been better) is a hydaphora, the faviitees is shedding tissues heavily and seems to be infested with vermitid or some other types of snail and aptaisia within its skeleton so it will probably die soon. Removing the glass anemonae was a breeze compared to the vermidit worms. Tried to cover their holes in the coral skeleton base with super glue which may have slowed them down but couldn't stop their spread.
But to get back to your question of my plans for it, I plan to use the tank as practice to hone in my husbandry skills by trying to nurse all of the corals in the tank back to health, keep steady parameters by regular testing and responding to changing test data. Basically the 3g tank is to make sure that I won't **** up on my new 29g+10g sump tank that I have invested a lot more time and money into. After that I can convert the tiny tank into a quarantine tank.
Ah didn't realise the size good luck

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back