What have you bought secondhand before? Was it worth it in the long run?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the common ways I have seen people save money in the hobby is buying something secondhand. Maybe a previously owned tank or some equipment that was gently used. I am wondering what is something you have bought secondhand, and was it worth it to buy used? Curious to see what everyone says!

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kids of stuff. Got my Reefkeeper Elite used years ago and it's still running today. Bought a used Hamilton halide T5 fixture from forums here as well as my bubble Magus Curve 5 elite for $100 and it performs amazingly. In today's economy, you might as well light money on fire if you are not willing to consider used.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my gear is used I would say the pieces that have been the best purchases over the years have been masterflex pumps. I’ve sold many at a profit over the last 30 years Skimmers, calcium reactors, any acrylic reactors are all good to buy used. I still am buying used halide gear when I see deals

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all of my gear. I got my tank (red sea 130dd) on fb marketplace for $250 and my wife's 32 biocube was $140. Both were pretty much plug and play systems. Upgraded my lights to a Steve's LED kit I got used on here. I have tons of lights, and powerheads, etc that I picked up used.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire tank except my lights bought as whole setup 5 years strong no issues. Why pay full price in an expensive hobby when people quit daily.
That's neat you were able to get a whole setup!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my gear is used I would say the pieces that have been the best purchases over the years have been masterflex pumps. I’ve sold many at a profit over the last 30 years Skimmers, calcium reactors, any acrylic reactors are all good to buy used. I still am buying used halide gear when I see deals
Halides are worth it when you can get a good deal on them used!

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my Apex gear and I have nearly the whole Hannah checker collection. All bought on Reef2Reef Marketplace.

Totally worth it.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my Apex gear and I have nearly the whole Hannah checker collection. All bought on Reef2Reef Marketplace.

Totally worth it.
People keeping telling me to check the marketplace for apex gear, and darn it I really should

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks, wave pumps, lights, skimmers, return pumps.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuvo 20 hands down for me. I got a good deal and was my first tank on the saltwater side. Almost 4 years later, 2 moves and still like the tank and hobby.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's neat you were able to get a whole setup!
People sell full setups for pennies on the dollar alllll the time. Especially big setups, it's a niche market so they're hard to sell and hard to move. And it's a pain to part out. Even smaller tanks. I got my red sea 130dd for $250 and my wife's 32 biocube for $140. Both ad essentially plug and play setups.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with used. Unless your local just make sure you buy from someone that’s been around. You can also tell the quality of the goods by the pictures. I find that hobbyists that keep original boxes usually take good care of their equipment.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20231108_184554241.jpg

This tank minus coral. Included rock, skimmer, return pump, stand, Caron reactor 100.00. I would say worth it

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a full running tank with life rock, beginner corals, cleaning crew, etc for peanuts. Only thing I had to change out was that horrible magnetic black sand and eventually got a better light, also used. Built my own dosing pump/ controller.

The heaters died eventually, the tunze pumps still run as good as ever.

Only thing on the tank itself I bought new was replacement heaters and a bladed magnetic cleaner

Definitely worth it, apart from the heaters which have limited life anyway, everything still runs fine years later and I saved 3-4 digits compared to buying new

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I am currently (listed in R2R marketplace today) selling it all. If you’re in the NY tri-state area it’s a great deal.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally not buy used electrical equipment, lights , pumps ect

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back