What have you bought secondhand before? Was it worth it in the long run?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer tank and aquarium I turned into sump.

Skimmer is a reef octo 110int. It's great, I cannot imagine ever avoiding second hand on a skimmer. The pump can always be replaced.

Aquriums are just the basic aqueons, I can't imagine them ever being a bad move. Silicon check passes, or redo the silicon. Maybe when getting it wet the first time run some stuff to pull out the chemicals the previous owner maybe was unaware of. Got one that is super old and when I was cycling it I threw in cuprisorb and it def pulled a lot out. Other tanks have never pulled anything out, but better safe than sorry.

I got a lot of second hand super old jebaos, for free though. They were dry for a little over 3 years but all worked.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about everything has been good used secondhand, and has been faultless so far! I think only thing I bought new was Tunze ATO, a Nero 5 and 2 of the 7 Orphek bars… All of this was secondhand:

•RSR 525xl
•5 x Orphek OR3 150 RB+ & UV
•Deltec SC2061 skimmer
•2 x Kamoer X4 dosers
•2 Vertex Libra 3 channel peri’s ( AWC)
•2 Nero 7’s, 1 Nero 5
•Maxspect Xf350 gyre x 2
•Mantis Tornado 12,000 return pump
•BlueReef Chiller
•Frag tank (plumbed into RSR)
•D-D UV steriliser
•pH & ORP controller

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 350 complete setup with MP40s, curve A5, S2 return pump, RS90s for $1500. Reefer 170 complete for $250. A2 full apex years ago for $450. In fact I just purchased a reef 250 new and it's the first new tank since the 90s. Coral...all the coral was used

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze pumps
Tunze skimmer
Xr15 gen 5's × 5
Ati T5 fixture
Giesemann T5
Apex
Geo 818 calcium reactor
30g used acrylic tank
20g aio + stand
Brs ro/di 4 stage unit
I still have them all some 15+ years old. Plus a few I forgot!

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Lights i will always get new, because everyone says they only used it 40%.
But i think things that hang over a open salt water tank, is prone for wear and tear, so new is always the route to go.

Return pumps i will probably never buy used. A Return pump is like the heart of your system, so who wants a used heart? Unless its a much greater class pump, with very little hours on it, i think that is another piece i will always buy new. I would take a Used Abyzz in a heart beat if the price was right, but hey, who wouldn't?

Lastly the other stuff...
Normally i would only use the cheaper new stuff, but i wanted to see if the premium stuff was all the hype its meant to be.

So instead of getting a Jeabo Wave Maker Pumps, i got slightly used Ecotech Vortech MP40's.
I think these were very good purchases, although i hear a lot of people rant about Mobius and Ecotech, so im a little worried, but wont feel bad as i paid half the retail price on them.

Instead of using a chinese Par Meter, i have a Used Apogee MQ-510.
(which i think unless you do a lot of par readings, getting it loaned at BRS is probably better.)
Never used a cheap chinese one, so i have no basis to compare to, but I have been loaning my meter out to friends and they say its the best thing you can have when setting up your tank.

Instead of getting a Kalocity Tank Monitor, i'll probably get a Used Apex A3
(although they are in completely different leagues)

And finally i am waiting for my Neptune Trident + DoS + DDR to ship from a member here to finish my gear.

If i find a good priced used Nyos Skimmer, i would probably get one to replace the current one i have.
I am also looking for Clearwater ATS V2, yet i rarely see those ever for sale.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely like to but used, but where? FB marketplace never seems to have stuff in my area, so I never know how to buy used stuff.
80% of my used equipment was purchased on ebay. Good deals if you have the time to wait for what you want.

Klemmetsmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kids of stuff. Got my Reefkeeper Elite used years ago and it's still running today. Bought a used Hamilton halide T5 fixture from forums here as well as my bubble Magus Curve 5 elite for $100 and it performs amazingly. In today's economy, you might as well light money on fire if you are not willing to consider used.
I bought a guys entire set up back in the day. It was a huge score of random gear, parts, and plumbing. I still have a lot of stuff and dig in the gear every now and them. Actually, to be honest, I have a real bad hoarding problem with reef gear(like half a garage full… anyway, I made a video on it back in the day.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the common ways I have seen people save money in the hobby is buying something secondhand. Maybe a previously owned tank or some equipment that was gently used. I am wondering what is something you have bought secondhand, and was it worth it to buy used? Curious to see what everyone says!
My entire 125 gallon set up was second hand. Totally worth it. Only thing that sucked was the clowns, snowflake eel and corals didnt make it through the transfer. Rock was covered in those nasty tube snails so I had to throw that out. But Ive made my own tank since and I love it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back