What have you done if stn persists?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive added about 5 SPS frags over the last few months and had stn on all of them. But the larger colony chunks seem to do well. The latest victim is a FF digi and it’s actually a larger frag. But just noticed the stn on the base coming up on it.

I ordered an Aquabiomics test just to know. But has anyone saved sps from dipping it in something like cipro?

I just read the Reefbuilders article on this but my tank is not as old as mr Palettas tank. Im just getting tired of buying frags just to watch them die.
IMG_9779.jpeg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try KZ flatworm stop. It will help strenghten corals. You need to run it for 6 month. I have ran it before with good results and had no flatworms.

Whats the ab+ setting for the 32's.
I run 8 16's on 3 systems with great results.
First 4 100%
Rest 50%
1hr up/down
10hrs peak.

I run 4 powerheads of similar size in my 80g. All are on wave or pulse mode for random flow.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have saved sps by trimming and dipping. You can certainly try cipro - but I don't bother at this point. I have redundant colonies of everything.

In my first year with acros... I had rolling issues with RTN, wiped out all my SPS over a period of about 8 weeks. And for a long time.. literally any acro or mili or anything similar would RTN in a week. I gave up for a year (focused on fish and LPS) and learned to do everything better from top to bottom (really understanding my RO system, making saltwater the best way possible, lights, flow, keeping ALK stable, etc...). One day, I tried SPS again and everything was better.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try KZ flatworm stop. It will help strenghten corals. You need to run it for 6 month. I have ran it before with good results and had no flatworms.

Whats the ab+ setting for the 32's.
I run 8 16's on 3 systems with great results.
First 4 100%
Rest 50%
1hr up/down
10hrs peak.

I run 4 powerheads of similar size in my 80g. All are on wave or pulse mode for random flow.
Im also running a light bar to at the top behind the hood. I guess i just call it a AB+ style

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have saved sps by trimming and dipping. You can certainly try cipro - but I don't bother at this point. I have redundant colonies of everything.

In my first year with acros... I had rolling issues with RTN, wiped out all my SPS over a period of about 8 weeks. And for a long time.. literally any acro or mili or anything similar would RTN in a week. I gave up for a year (focused on fish and LPS) and learned to do everything better from top to bottom (really understanding my RO system, making saltwater the best way possible, lights, flow, keeping ALK stable, etc...). One day, I tried SPS again and everything was better.
Maybe what ill do but ive got some huge pieces that i got from local reefers. Just frustrating. I mean everything else is thriving just weird. This FF digi was thriving and grew double its size in a month almost.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current numbers
Parameters are posted in OP
Dosing red sea alk, cal and mag
IMG_9423.png

Looks like you’re dosing more than that as of Friday morning. Are you testing for iodine and potassium? I hate acropower btw

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues at 80% red and green 3% and whites 25%

The light bar was the game changer.
Ok. I would give KZ a shot.
Also consider dosing trace elements.
Also I would think about my settings. I get great growth and color with it.
Its a great setting for lps or a nems.
My old 20g at 10 months just before I took it down.
The 16hds got me off halides and 100% leds now. Except the 20g reboot.
Old 20 had great color and growth.
20221001_195433.jpg

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the STN pattern? Base up, tips down, or random “Greying out” in patches?

I had an 8 year old established Sps reef with the latter pattern. Couldn’t solve it and tank was as stable as possible - monthly ICP for Reef Moonshiners, Alkatronic, trident, the works. Ran an aquabiomics test to later learn I had 3 strains of SCTLD that’s destroying the Florida reefs and have since shut down the entire system to start fresh after losing an antibiotics attempted save.

Fingers crossed you’re dealing with something else but I have no idea how it got into my tank - most likely from coral swaps / buys here from well intended reefers - and I suspect it’s MUCH more prevalent in the hobby than we currently believe, it’s just everyone assumes the issue is one of thousands of other factors, aquabiomics is the last resort test, and I suspect many don’t share the findings afterward.

Please keep us posted esp after the results come back (but it takes 5-6 weeks or so if I recall)

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like you’re dosing more than that as of Friday morning. Are you testing for iodine and potassium? I hate acropower btw
I do dose some traces but very low amount. Just go by icp test.
Whats wrong with acropower?
I used to use red sea ab+ but hated keeping it refrigerated.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the STN pattern? Base up, tips down, or random “Greying out” in patches?

I had an 8 year old established Sps reef with the latter pattern. Couldn’t solve it and tank was as stable as possible - monthly ICP for Reef Moonshiners, Alkatronic, trident, the works. Ran an aquabiomics test to later learn I had 3 strains of SCTLD that’s destroying the Florida reefs and have since shut down the entire system to start fresh after losing an antibiotics attempted save.

Fingers crossed you’re dealing with something else but I have no idea how it got into my tank - most likely from coral swaps / buys here from well intended reefers - and I suspect it’s MUCH more prevalent in the hobby than we currently believe, it’s just everyone assumes the issue is one of thousands of other factors, aquabiomics is the last resort test, and I suspect many don’t share the findings afterward.

Please keep us posted esp after the results come back (but it takes 5-6 weeks or so if I recall)
Base up. Every SPS has died like this.

Ill post the results when i get them.

The first coral to do it was ora birds of paradise.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've saved some corals from STN by feeding them Reef energy AB+

This could have been part of my system being literally 0 nitrate and 0 phos for sometime

but it brought them back

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've saved some corals from STN by feeding them Reef energy AB+

This could have been part of my system being literally 0 nitrate and 0 phos for sometime

but it brought them back
What i was using until about a month ago.

My levels have been pretty stable for a while now. Not to many ups and downs. Had cyano bad but manual removal and dr tims waste away it went away after 2 months.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i was using until about a month ago.

My levels have been pretty stable for a while now. Not to many ups and downs. Had cyano bad but manual removal and dr tims waste away it went away after 2 months.
From what I've experienced I only get STNing from the base when my system has no nutrients (the corals are starving)

There is a magnitude of other things that can be causing it, since you had Cyano sounds like nutrients aren't an issue

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose some traces but very low amount. Just go by icp test.
Whats wrong with acropower?
I used to use red sea ab+ but hated keeping it refrigerated.
My corals didn’t like it. Reduced PE the few times I tried it and that’s a no go for me. I didn’t use it long enough to know if it would have caused stn.

You mentioned in another post that you’ve been removing your sand? That could be messing up the system bacterial balance.

What are your nutrient export methods? Every acro and monti would stn on me when I first got back into the sps game. I was carbon dosing and using gfo for perfect parameters. Numbers were great but the sps were dying or dead.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals didn’t like it. Reduced PE the few times I tried it and that’s a no go for me. I didn’t use it long enough to know if it would have caused stn.

You mentioned in another post that you’ve been removing your sand? That could be messing up the system bacterial balance.

What are your nutrient export methods? Every acro and monti would stn on me when I first got back into the sps game. I was carbon dosing and using gfo for perfect parameters. Numbers were great but the sps were dying or dead.
WCs thats it. Bi-weekly 15 gallons. I used gfo in the past but never again. I really haven’t removed enough sand to matter imo. Maybe 2-3 cup fulls but not since the cyano went away. I was vacuuming the sand bed 2x a week to get the cyano. But this stn has been going in before then.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe what ill do but ive got some huge pieces that i got from local reefers. Just frustrating. I mean everything else is thriving just weird. This FF digi was thriving and grew double its size in a month almost.

If most of your corals are doing well, proceed slowly with any major changes. I have never tried whole tank cipro, but, please post your results if you go that way based on your aquabiomics test. And.. for God's sake... don't try to make up your losses by buying a bunch of new coral right now - LOL. Been there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back