What HOB filter for 10 gallon

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral/invert tank is a 10 gallon. The HOB filter just died. I feel it was undersized anyway. How many gallons per hour should I look for? I also don't want to over do it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using the HOB filter for? Just mechanical/chemical or are you using it as a biological filter or water mover as well?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using the HOB filter for? Just mechanical/chemical or are you using it as a biological filter or water mover as well?
Additional water flow, surface agitation, and some mechanical filtration. There aren't any fish, so the bioload isn't much. I do have a power head in there already.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional water flow, surface agitation, and some mechanical filtration. There aren't any fish, so the bioload isn't much. I do have a power head in there already.
I am not sure any are needed at all. With that size tank, you can easily keep up with regular water changes. The small powerhead (maybe even add a second) will provide all the water movement and surface agitation that you need.....plus you don't have to look at the HOB filter in an already small space. I might just keep one available if you need to throw carbon in it to remove toxins.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use an AC20 just to hold media like carbon and Purigen. On my 29 I use an AC70 to hold my sponge, carbon, Purigen and de*nitrate. Cleaned once a week it works good for my application.

Back