What in Tarnation is This?

Seafeather

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2025
Messages
79
Reaction score
82
Location
Paris
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all, honestly. What in the world is this thing? Ive seen it in my tank for quite some time and i just removed it from my big tank with more to lose, and into my tiny desk tank. I do know that a coral was on this specific rubble piece but i couldnt tell you what coral as it died off a while ago. There was always this thing there, but it got bigger and more bulbous. It looks like a purply steamed bao bun.

d34daccf-7aab-4a6d-9f95-da28fd4c102e.jpg
ade11ee3-f15c-42fc-ab93-fb2a89ec58dd.jpg
 
Second image looks like coralline algae on an old shell.
 
I'd check it when the lights are off. It almost looks like polyps could come out of it. Basically, I'm wondering if it's a non-photosynthetic coral. I had some that looked just like that, but perhaps smaller. At night they'd put out red tentacles. The guy who collected it said it was a non-photosynthetic parazoanthus but I'm not 100% confident in that ID.

I also had a non-photosynthetic leather coral that would close like that...it was sold to me as an "anus coral" but I'm confident that's not the name! He just called it that because of how it looked when it was closed.
 
Some kind of sea squirt? Anus coral is a fitting name looking at that thing!
 
Second image looks like coralline algae on an old shell.
LOL yes that definitely is. I was trying to get a top down image of the more bubbly looking thing in the corner of the tank, bottom of the image.
 
I'd check it when the lights are off. It almost looks like polyps could come out of it. Basically, I'm wondering if it's a non-photosynthetic coral. I had some that looked just like that, but perhaps smaller. At night they'd put out red tentacles. The guy who collected it said it was a non-photosynthetic parazoanthus but I'm not 100% confident in that ID.

I also had a non-photosynthetic leather coral that would close like that...it was sold to me as an "anus coral" but I'm confident that's not the name! He just called it that because of how it looked when it was closed.
That is quite the name! Lolol ill defintely check it out at night to see maybe if its a non-photosynthetic coral.
It actually reminds me a lot of a really closed up zoa.
 
I got a few better pictures. Google images keeps saying the same 3 things: a stomatella snail, bubble algae, and lately cuttlefish eggs...? Lol
c15870a7-ebac-4fb6-9dca-305ede3f8c91.jpg
522b4d9c-19ec-49e8-a87e-dfabe0de93f2.jpg
6703d2a1-c3ef-48b1-bc77-39db9f9f1891.jpg
 
When i touch it, its very clearly squishy and holds the indent for a little while. Kind of like a sand filled balloon, but softer?
 
Google images keeps saying the same 3 things: a stomatella snail, bubble algae, and lately cuttlefish eggs...? Lol
Of the three, only the cuttlefish eggs seems plausible. I found this image for comparison:
1000027633.jpg
 
Google images keeps saying the same 3 things: a stomatella snail, bubble algae, and lately cuttlefish eggs...? Lol
Of the three, only the cuttlefish eggs seems plausible. I found this image for comparison:
1000027633.jpg
Yeah the shape is super similar, but theyve been in the tank for around a year now. Unless cuttlefish eggs have long incubation periods...😂

At this point im convinced its just some type of sponge. Its kind of squishy and looks like it has a few layers. Im tempted to disect one, but also i dont want to hurt/ruin it. :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new