What is a blow torch?

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ppl, can anyone give me some hint where the name “blow torch” comes from? What is the color code for it? I mean, so far I can tell the difference between hg/master/ds and so on, but blow torch, I can find very little info about it.....

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one for sale at TSA
2ONLINE.S15.111620-1.jpg

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ppl, can anyone give me some hint where the name “blow torch” comes from? What is the color code for it? I mean, so far I can tell the difference between hg/master/ds and so on, but blow torch, I can find very little info about it.....
A blow torch is a device that can produce flame usually using propane or butane.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fancy name given to a run of the mill torch, that looks crazy under extreme blue lights, so vendors can charge ridiculous prices.

Unless you run all blues(FYI no one should, it's not healthy for the coral), you'll never see the colors vendors post for most corals.

Notice how even the frag rack is blue in the pic posted? Dead give away that that coral will never look that way in your tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will look that way at sunrise and sunset!

I did have a LPS tank that appeared all blue all the time for 2 years and everything did fantastic. However it was a trick as I was running mint leds instead of white so it wasn’t just blue led diodes.

Not that anyone should pay more for that blow torch over any other indo gold. It is a name.

OP
OP
E

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fancy name given to a run of the mill torch, that looks crazy under extreme blue lights, so vendors can charge ridiculous prices.

Unless you run all blues(FYI no one should, it's not healthy for the coral), you'll never see the colors vendors post for most corals.

Notice how even the frag rack is blue in the pic posted? Dead give away that that coral will never look that way in your tank.
That is also what I think, I mean hg and master are kind of ok, as they do look different from most torches. But 2nd tier names are very confusing

OP
OP
E

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another fancy name to squeeze more money out of unknowing customers
Last week my LFS got a lot indo torches in stock with a lot names. Some of them I can tell the differences most of them I can’t. Today I checked his website, he named 90%of them as indo gold torch, with some grade such as ultra, neon, green tip etc....the prices are different, but that is fair enough. I guess that will make more sense.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back