what is a good grazing fish?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need a fish that will graze on my live rock, and hopefully munch down on some algae on the rocks here and there.

(no i dont want a yellow tang!......lol)

...and i've got a flame angel which i will soon be returning once i catch him. cool fish, doesn't really graze that much (or at least doesn't make much of a difference on the algae), but i also caught him pecking at my monti's which is a no-no.

the tank will be a 50g cube...

...any suggestions?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Scopas tang, which is the smallest variety of tangs only get up to 7 inches.....He ate every kinda of algae I had in my tank, I mean I was algae free even valonia(sp?)......I know it a tang but they don't get vary big, the only down side is they can be quite aggressive to new fish after they are added.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Scopas tang, which is the smallest variety of tangs only get up to 7 inches.....He ate every kinda of algae I had in my tank, I mean I was algae free even valonia(sp?)......I know it a tang but they don't get vary big, the only down side is they can be quite aggressive to new fish after they are added.

was this recently? cuz i know you had alot of algae in that tank

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 different tangs in the past which were awesome, Indian Mimic(Eibli) & a Kole Tang. Both are great for algae grazing and both are beautiful fish.

Just a thought. ;)

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the "bristle tooth" tangs would work for algae control. I had a kole tang that was great at eating algae off the rocks. Unfortunately I lost him to ick.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope this was awhile ago......That's why I have the dang algae now......He was attacking my Maldive clowns so I moved him out and he came down with ick.....Lost him during QT. Now I have this algae everywhere I might even re-cook the rock at some point and get a bit of fresh rock......The LFS near me has a small Scopas for $20 but I really don't want to add another fish. But I might have to this algae is getting out of control and it isn't just one type either.....

P.S. This was abouta year and a half ago before Club-zoa and Coralnutz.com.....

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a 12 inch Ritteri anemone melt away 2 weeks after changing over half the tank to sand and Getting new lights. I think I made to many changes all at once.....Rabbit fish are also good but they are nippers as well.....I have heard great things about the bristle tooth's as well.....Might wanna try a Tomini tang as well. I have to correct myself on one thing though the Tomini is the smallest of the tangs reaching 7in while the Scopas will reach 8-9in....The only draw back with them is they are supposedly one of the most aggressive tangs once established to newcommers. I just went and read some of my fish book trying to come up with something for you....

Last edited:

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kole I have is a machine!

I could TRY to grow algae and he would keep it in check.

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae

I agree with fishes and nikon, Yellow Eyed Kole Tang is a eating machine. Add a few Emerald crabs and blue legged hermits and you should have it all covered.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've seen a couple people get tomini tangs, and they aren't very pretty, and they seem VERY shy. i definitely havent seen an aggressive one

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel awful having a tang in my 65 gal., but I will be upgrading soon. I don't think a 50 cube is suitable for any tang. I'm guessing the dimensions of the tank are about 24x24x20 and an Acanthurus tang would be an awful choice for a tank with those dimensions. A Ctenochaetus sp. tang would only be a slightly less awful choice. I'd suggest some of the herbivorous blennys (bicolor, horseface, lawnmower, etc.), but if you're going to keep SPS you should be aware that sometime some of them can nip. If not fish, just load up on the cleanup crew.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never going with a blenny, i'll just get a small baby tang and when it gets large, give it to someone with a bigger tank

i think i'm just gonna go with a gem tang. ;)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back