What is best dip to use after fragging an acro that is STN/RTN

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an American Patriot that is STN, I have fragged the live parts and dipped but I only have revive right now. Is there a dip that people think are better for healing? I know finding the stressor is the key but my other acros are doing well, good color, growth, and PE. I don’t want to jeopardize the health of the tank for a single coral.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Revive to be a very harsh dip. I use Melafix and Bayer.

Why are you dipping? Do you suspect a pest? An Acro with STN/RTN is a stressed out coral and dipping can just further stress it. The only reason IMO to dip is if you suspect a pest is causing it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Revive to be a very harsh dip. I use Melafix and Bayer.

Why are you dipping? Do you suspect a pest? An Acro with STN/RTN is a stressed out coral and dipping can just further stress it. The only reason IMO to dip is if you suspect a pest is causing it.
I was unsure if there was a pest or not considering the other acros are doing well and this one had been up until recently I don’t know what is causing the stress, but I figured if it was bacterial or something like that, that fragging the healthy part could give it a better chance and I’ve read some people dip after fragging and some don’t.

Upvote 0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unsure if there was a pest or not considering the other acros are doing well and this one had been up until recently I don’t know what is causing the stress, but I figured if it was bacterial or something like that, that fragging the healthy part could give it a better chance and I’ve read some people dip after fragging and some don’t.
Some folks use an iodine dip like Lugols for this purpose. I can't say whether it helps or not, but it isn't harsh.

I don't use any of the tea tree extract based stuff on acros for pest control. I also gave up on Bayer; while it is extremely gentle on acros, it is just to much trouble to use. Potassium chloride works very well for me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks use an iodine dip like Lugols for this purpose. I can't say whether it helps or not, but it isn't harsh.

I don't use any of the tea tree extract based stuff on acros for pest control. I also gave up on Bayer; while it is extremely gentle on acros, it is just to much trouble to use. Potassium chloride works very well for me.
I was curious about iodine dips, have read quite a few people using it for this. Potassium chloride I’ve also read about, is it mainly for pests? Any experience with coral rx? I’ve seen that it can help with bacterial infections which is what I’m wondering is happening with this frag.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Any experience with coral rx? I’ve seen that it can help with bacterial infections which is what I’m wondering is happening with this frag.
i believe the coral rx pro version is more of a coral dip than something to aid in bacterial infection. the regular coral rx i believe can help more in that area as its less concentrated.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back