What is floating in my water column?

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1E5602F5-690C-48FA-BCAD-C37128E97698.jpeg
505C45F3-1668-409E-A8C4-89C9E2044F8B.jpeg

every night around this time(a couple hours after my whites shut off) my clownfish starts going crazy. Swimming fast back and forth in the tank and looking like he is eating. I sometimes have micro bubbles when I need to top off my tank so I just assumed this was always the case.

Well tonight the same thing happened, except I noticed that there were about 100 times more “bubbles” Despite having topped my tank off. I went in for a closer look after seeing my clown picking at the glass, along with multiple snails including nassarius climbing the glass and noticed that not only were the “bubbles” some sort of organism, they were also all over the front glass.

Kinda of hard to see in the photos but if you zoom in you can see the organisms. I have never added pods, but I do broadcast feed phyto/zooplankton once a week.

any ideas on what these could be? There are probably thousands in here. I’m hoping copepods lol

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is pods hard to tell under blue lights though. Pods can be Establish in the tank by other means live sand or live rocks.
Do pods come out more under blues or do the whites just make them impossible to see? Also, I’ve noticed some areas of algae is starting to clear on its own, could this be attributed to a growing pod population?

and sorry for bombarding with questions lol but should I still consider adding pods even though they seem to be doing a decent job at multiplying on their own?

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they typically will come out more when the white lights are off. Makes its easier not to be spotted. The algae clearing up in certain spots more than likely has to do with one of your cleanup crew members. No worries that’s why we are all here to learn right. I honestly wouldn’t worry about adding more as long as there is substantial amount of places for them to hide (rocks sand ect.) and reproduce before being picked off. They can reproduce pretty fast on their own.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they typically will come out more when the white lights are off. Makes its easier not to be spotted. The algae clearing up in certain spots more than likely has to do with one of your cleanup crew members. No worries that’s why we are all here to learn right. I honestly wouldn’t worry about adding more as long as there is substantial amount of places for them to hide (rocks sand ect.) and reproduce before being picked off. They can reproduce pretty fast on their own.
Thanks for the time and effort to respond! Much appreciated! I only have two clowns for the foreseeable future so I don’t think they will pick them all off! I’ll have some overweight fish if so lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%

Back