What is going off with my tank?

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some purple stuff like algae I think it's that cynaeo (something like that) and got like green moss on live rocks and my corals look like there dying and got lots of air bubbles on live rocks and as you can see everything I have mentioned in all the pictures all I've done differently is change my lighting to Mars aqua
771670bab5fde83e6a0b98c092e9ecd1.jpg
d2237dcc42444003761fbbb31967d9a1.jpg
3de487d3f76913360deb0e8d2d341a08.jpg
c54b96fa31fec78b8547356ef6b26cd5.jpg
cd99eabb85590ba121a96f7ba63125a9.jpg

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely cyano, with some green hair algae to boot. Any idea what your nitrate and phosphate levels are?

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked them and nitrite 0.25ppm and nitrate is 0ppm

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And any ideas on how to control or get rid ov it

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like you joined on Saturday, so I'm guessing your tank is new....
If so, it's just growing pains.
Your system will go through various stages of the uglies before it settles in.
The only thing you can do is keep params in line and avoid dumping too much crap into the tank

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been running for just over a year now and only recently found this app and it is a life saver

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 nitrate is not concerning in my opinion, mine hold steady between 2 and 5. Undetectable phosphates seem more concerning, I had 0 phosphates for a while and had a cyano issue at the same time. Chemiclean works wonders for cyano and i have never had an ill effect from using it. I shoot for 1-5 ppm nitrates and .03-.04 phosphates. I run an algae scrubber and have next to no algae in my display which I believe is thanks to the algae scrubber. All corals are healthy and colorful, mostly lps, zoas and nems, but i do have a monti cap, a stylo, and a hollywood stunner that are very colorful and healthy as well. I do feed pretty heavy aswell.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 nitrate is not concerning in my opinion, mine hold steady between 2 and 5. Undetectable phosphates seem more concerning, I had 0 phosphates for a while and had a cyano issue at the same time. Chemiclean works wonders for cyano and i have never had an ill effect from using it. I shoot for 1-5 ppm nitrates and .03-.04 phosphates. I run an algae scrubber and have next to no algae in my display which I believe is thanks to the algae scrubber. All corals are healthy and colorful, mostly lps, zoas and nems, but i do have a monti cap, a stylo, and a hollywood stunner that are very colorful and healthy as well. I do feed pretty heavy aswell.
The post said nitrite, you keep your nitrites at .2-.5? Nitrates aren't a concern but nitrites are. I keep my nitrates at 5-10 ppm, nitrites should always be zero.

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got a test kit that does phosphate just the auto master test kit which is just ammonia pH nitrite and nitrate so how do I lower my phosphate levels and I will be getting a test kit that does all the rest like calculations etc...

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I never considered a tank cycled until I actually see nitrates register and 0 for ammonia and 0 for nitrites. There's definitely a nutrient issue or an export issue if the tank has been running for a year. Maybe I'm missing something here.....

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only new thing I have done is added more powerful lights and before that I got a frag pack off eBay maby got it from the frag pack cuz everything was fine till the lights and frag pack

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you increased lighting suddenly that can trigger algae growth and coral die back.

Get some good quality test kits - you need alkalinity, nitrate, phosphate, calcium and magnesium. If any of those are off conditions can reduce coral growth and make algae worse.

Are you dosing yet? I needed to start dosing at around 8 months.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you mean concerning what can I do about it I want to fix it
Water changes and a refgium. Both will bring the ph up and lower the nutrients and co2 the cyano and algaes feed on.

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've got an auto dose and dosing what my LFS recommended for coral growth I'll look what it is and put a picture on tomorrow

OP
OP
danemma

danemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a sump yet got everything ready like skimmer and overflow box etc just not the sump at the mo I've got a little skimmer in the tank and a canister filter but thank you to everyone for there I put and will post that picture in here on what I'm dosing

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filtermedia are you using?? I stil struggle a bit with algae but seachem's purigen has proven extremely helpful for me when combined with waterchanges! Also if you have some phos i'd run a small amount of GFO (chemipure elite is fine but rinse very well!)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back