IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1749.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t velvet. It is either ich or brooklynella.

We need pictures and video under white light. Background info about the tank is also needed. This post explains all that:

Jay

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We need pictures and video under white light. Background info about the tank is also needed. This post explains all that:

Jay
Understood.

I’m almost home so I’ll respond shortly.

I did have a powder brown that I believed caught ich so I began dosing prazipro to try and eliminate secondary infections.

I just did a pretty stressful cleaning as I’m dealing with some red cyano and just overall maintenance parameters are good but the rocks had to get cleaned up

If it is ich how do I treat this in a reef tank with clams and inverts?

It’s not likely I ever catch the fish inside the aquarium

Perhaps the clowns I could catch pretty easily but the royal gramma wrasses etc forget about it

Just as an additional note I lost the powder brown a day after the cleaning probably from stress of the cleaning etc

These clowns I’ve have for over a year

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
These pictures are as white as I can make my tank

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the infection is present on all fish, it’s ich. If prazipro has had no effect, definitely ich. Your first task is to remove the prazipro out of the water column because it can have a negative reaction to ich medication. Removal can be done through carbon & 25% WC. Options for ich are copper base medication but will need removal of all inverts & coral into a separate system. If removal of coral & inverts is not possible, Ruby reef kick ich or kordon ich attack are the “reef safe” options. The reef safe option still causes some harm to inverts & coral, in my experience with reef safe meds, there will still be some casualties in the none fish side of the system. Also reef safe meds take longer & more frequent dosing to start seeing positive effects but it will do the job. I highly suggest also doing a quick read on the cycles of ich & my personal practice is to quarantine fish for ich past 4 cycles. My recommendation would be a separate quarantine tank where you can add heavy copper base meds that are more effective & quick to kill off any infection. Either way, your main display has been infected & will need treatment to eradicate the parasite by starving it or medicating. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the infection is present on all fish, it’s ich. If prazipro has had no effect, definitely ich. Your first task is to remove the prazipro out of the water column because it can have a negative reaction to ich medication. Removal can be done through carbon & 25% WC. Options for ich are copper base medication but will need removal of all inverts & coral into a separate system. If removal of coral & inverts is not possible, Ruby reef kick ich or kordon ich attack are the “reef safe” options. The reef safe option still causes some harm to inverts & coral, in my experience with reef safe meds, there will still be some casualties in the none fish side of the system. Also reef safe meds take longer & more frequent dosing to start seeing positive effects but it will do the job. I highly suggest also doing a quick read on the cycles of ich & my personal practice is to quarantine fish for ich past 4 cycles. My recommendation would be a separate quarantine tank where you can add heavy copper base meds that are more effective & quick to kill off any infection. Either way, your main display has been infected & will need treatment to eradicate the parasite by starving it or medicating. Good luck.
It is only on my clownfish as of this moment from what I can see.

The clownfish in question has passed sadly.

The other clownfish has noticeable ich but I’m unable to catch him without breaking down the tank.

And one of my tangs has a single cloudy eye.

0 signs of ich again from any fish other then the clown fish.

Of course there is no reef tank safe medications that will cure ich from my reef but is there a way to go about managing it so i do not lose fish?

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Just realized I provided no background info.

Rank is a 150g prostar
Roughly 100#s of Carib sea reef rock trees and arches.

Alk 8.5
Calcium 513
Magnesium 1504
Phosphate .08
Nitrates 14
No discernible ammonia or nitrate

Tanks been up and running since last July

First fish hit the tank middle of September.

All fish was purchased via dr reef

Except my clowns and royal gramma which I’ve had for over 1 year from my local reef shop

Tank consists of currently

1 magnificent foxface
1 yellow tang
1 bristletooth
1 diamond goby
1 yellow watchman goby with a pistol
1 royal gramma
1 flasher wrasse
1 possum wrasse
1 flame hawk
1 Midas blenny
1 pair of breeding bangai cardinals
Various inverts (I do not have a big enough clean up crew I’m sure)

Fish are fed a combination of lrs food (reef fusion herbivore diet and reef frenzy) mysis
Spirulina brine shrimp

I soak all foods in tank water with selcon and vitachem with a few drops of phyto feast for the clam and corals

Feed approximately 4-5ml of this per day broken up over a few different feedings

I didn’t quarantine the tank inhabitants originally but most of the inhabitants I’ve had for over a year in a different tank.

The new fish were purchased “quarantined” but of course something could have transpired in their travels or possibly I introduced something from a different tank.

I’m not sure I’ve never dealt with ich or any other illnesses in my aquariums before.

The clown from my original photo has died and the other clown seems okay but still has the ich parasites.

Catching him seems impossible he ignores my fish trap and he hides deep into the rockwork.

Breaking it down may make things much worse for both me and my pets.

Any advice would be lovely

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood.

I’m almost home so I’ll respond shortly.

I did have a powder brown that I believed caught ich so I began dosing prazipro to try and eliminate secondary infections.

I just did a pretty stressful cleaning as I’m dealing with some red cyano and just overall maintenance parameters are good but the rocks had to get cleaned up

If it is ich how do I treat this in a reef tank with clams and inverts?

It’s not likely I ever catch the fish inside the aquarium

Perhaps the clowns I could catch pretty easily but the royal gramma wrasses etc forget about it

Just as an additional note I lost the powder brown a day after the cleaning probably from stress of the cleaning etc

These clowns I’ve have for over a year
The loss of the powder brown caught me eye. They are really prone to ich. Prazipro has no affect on ich. The clownfish pictures just weren’t clear enough for me to determine if they have ich or brooklynella, but based on the powder brown dying, I’m thinking the tank has ich.

Treatment in mixed tanks isn’t really possible once fish get a severe infection. That means moving the fish to a treatment tank and treating with Coppersafe for 30 days, then keeping them out of you display tank for an additional 30 days - not easy to do I’m afraid!

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loss of the powder brown caught me eye. They are really prone to ich. Prazipro has no affect on ich. The clownfish pictures just weren’t clear enough for me to determine if they have ich or brooklynella, but based on the powder brown dying, I’m thinking the tank has ich.

Treatment in mixed tanks isn’t really possible once fish get a severe infection. That means moving the fish to a treatment tank and treating with Coppersafe for 30 days, then keeping them out of you display tank for an additional 30 days - not easy to do I’m afraid!
Well it is what it is smh.

I’ve lost the royal gramma bristletooth tang and the clown that were in the tank.

It sucks but I’m not risking my tanks inverts for the fish so I will let them work themselves out.

The fish that are left show 0 signs of illness minus the clown showing ich but he’s still eating and acting normally.

For the future as my tank is 100% likely to have ich and will likely never fully go away what’s the best course for ich management?

Thanks in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is what it is smh.

I’ve lost the royal gramma bristletooth tang and the clown that were in the tank.

It sucks but I’m not risking my tanks inverts for the fish so I will let them work themselves out.

The fish that are left show 0 signs of illness minus the clown showing ich but he’s still eating and acting normally.

For the future as my tank is 100% likely to have ich and will likely never fully go away what’s the best course for ich management?

Thanks in advance

Yes - you will have the potential for ich to remain in the tank long term unless you let it go fishless for 60 days and then fully treat all new fish coming into it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back