• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

What is going on in this industry ? Now ICP Analysis ?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently sent an ICP sample to ICP analysis and its bad enough I paid $24 for the kit, and another $4.20 for postage and I get me results back and they send me the results showing on 5 results and offering to give me the rest if I pay $7.99 ???
Are they serious?? In the past, I got email results and they showed/allowed you to open every square for analysis and described why you have the numbers shown - now the boxes are grayed out Until you Pay up.
This is ridiculous, theft and they have lost a customer for life. Why would they think someone would buy a kit, send a sample foe analysis and spend additional money for a " Reveal" ???
I have heard of other companies charging for subscription to use equipment you have bought from them.

Is this where we are Headed?

1695396290083.png

1695396296541.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're joking? What an absolute rob that is! Makes the Triton ones I send seems like 'good value' although expensive enough!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you see you purchased a kit and postage but they consider it as giving you 5 results free. For 7.99 more they will put all the results in the table. Then for some more money they will let you see them. Don’t let them catch you taking screenshots. Those are another 0.95 each. It’s like buying an American car. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You're joking? What an absolute rob that is! Makes the Triton ones I send seems like 'good value' although expensive enough!
Been using them exclusively for some time and this is beyond an Insult - I/ we buy a kit and prepare it so they can keep our results secret Unless we unlock the vault- Just wow
Hopefully Others dont follow this practice

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently sent an ICP sample to ICP analysis and its bad enough I paid $24 for the kit, and another $4.20 for postage and I get me results back and they send me the results showing on 5 results and offering to give me the rest if I pay $7.99 ???
Are they serious?? In the past, I got email results and they showed/allowed you to open every square for analysis and described why you have the numbers shown - now the boxes are grayed out Until you Pay up.
This is ridiculous, theft and they have lost a customer for life. Why would they think someone would buy a kit, send a sample foe analysis and spend additional money for a " Reveal" ???
I have heard of other companies charging for subscription to use equipment you have bought from them.

Is this where we are Headed?

1695396290083.png

1695396296541.png
That's kind of like ransomware. How fun! /s

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Micro transactions for a water test….
Does it mention this “upgrade” when you buy the $24 kit?
Not mentioned and have been using them since 2018 as i used triton and this is a first

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a culture of self-entitled crookery. Everyone thinking their "product" is such a precious commodity that they can get away with screwing you.

Good on you to never do it again. If everyone did the same, they would be either cutting the crap quick, or watching a lot more daytime television. ;)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Triton?

To be clear, is this more data points than prior tests or elements previously reported? Or are they locking results that you would have seen in the past?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this Triton?

To be clear, is this more data points than prior tests or elements previously reported? Or are they locking results that you would have seen in the past?
Its ICP analysis - not the triton one
Results I always saw in the past 12 tests are now locked

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you call them and ask. Maybe there was a mistake and your test kit was registered as one of their starter kits that does not come with all elements that can be upgraded later if you wish.

1695401086851.png
No- my list has 55 boxes which is the one Ive always used and they disclosed only 5

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me old times when software like Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop were for purchase with one fee, now it’s yearly subscription.
I will be devil’s advocate though and say that I find ICP tests overrated and of much less usefulness than advertised . I send water for ICP test once, twice a year and so far didn’t find any issues.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at their website- they clearly state that they give you limited amount of data and you can unlock more if you wish.
For a first time user looking to test aquarium water, we reccomend our Starter Kit that tests for 13 common elements. This is great for those who do not need all 58 elements our full panel test covers. If you decide you need more information after reviewing your data, you can unlock the remaining 45 elements online via an in-app purchase with the dosing calculator.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see what their response is.

I think if your package indicates the 55 tests are included in the purchase price, then I would assume what they have done is actually illegal.

One way or the other, it is appears to be underhanded unless we are missing something.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call them and straighten it out. If you bought the full test, you shouldn't have to pay any more, and they will make it right. I use them on many tanks a month and never had an issue.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at their website- they clearly state that they give you limited amount of data and you can unlock more if you wish.
This may be a policy change that is effective for new kit purchases- but if you purchased your kit prior to that change, I am not sure how that this can be legal. You pre-pay for the testing and stated terms when you buy the kit.

One way or the other, it feels pretty slimy, even if they disclose it somehow. I certainly would not entertain doing business with them.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back