What is growing on my snail?

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox Infinia 230.6 that has been up and running for about 4 months now. I only have a few fish in it at this point and some snails (taking it slowly). Anyway, I noticed this growing on the shell of two of my snails. A TikTok discussion group was a bit of a mixed bag of identifications - from Kenya tree to a form of "harmless algae." I thought I'd ask here to see if it's something I should leave alone, get rid of, etc? Thanks for your help. I've only ever had FOWLR tanks, so if it's a coral that may change my mind in the direction I take the tank.

Thanks again,
Scott

20240412_145549.jpg 20240412_082239.jpg 20240412_082230.jpg

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is could just be your coral-splitting and letting is offspring float through the water column till it find a spot to grow on.

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but you said there was no coral so It could be a hitchhiker on your dead live rock. It could be a dead coral. I got a lot of those on my dead live rock. Keep us updated on growth

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is could just be your coral-splitting and letting is offspring float through the water column till it find a spot to grow on.
Ok, so it'd have to be some sort of coral that came from the place I got the snails since I have never introduced coral on my own. Is it too small at this point to positively identify?

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is mostly likely a Kenya tree. It may have spawned on your snail shell and now it is growing. What are the parameters?

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but you said there was no coral so It could be a hitchhiker on your dead live rock. It could be a dead coral. I got a lot of those on my dead live rock. Keep us updated on growth
My dead live rock was from an old tank that I saved in a large plastic garbage can filled with ro/di water without salt, so there was nothing alive on it when I put it in this tank.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is mostly likely a Kenya tree. It may have spawned on your snail shell and now it is growing. What are the parameters?
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5, ph 8.2, waiting on phos test to arrive. I don't have advanced testing since I was planning on a FOWRL. But now I'm kind of intrigued about coral, if that's what this is.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScotty

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have 3 AI 32s on it. I will try and increase the nitrates a bit. I assume that'll happen anyway as more fish are introduced and food. I really appreciate your advice! I knew this site would have answers.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back