What is happening to zoas, are them going inside out?

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, a very quick post

All my corals are doing great, but yesterday I noticed that one zoa has its mouth sticking out (purple). I thought something got stuck, but nope. Today second head is the same and the previous one got a bit better.

Can you advice?

Here is the problematic one:

IMG_20230416_114933.jpg

Here is a photo of more to show the others are great (the one with the issue is for a month in the tank, it was two heads at start, water is stable).

fb5322342cd07cac74f0eef094ae1ee701564cd7e5f69055803f31aa9a73dbd1.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bounce

the image of all did not went through:

1681660223771.png

water:

NH3/4: 0.8
NO2: 0.05
NO3: 10
PO4: 0.03
KH: 8

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals are living animals, they can open and close and get "moody" for a few days..... maybe a critter walked past it a moment ago... it could be any reason why it will close, but if everything in the tank is good and normal, they will always open up again shortly.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine
corals are living animals, they can open and close and get "moody" for a few days..... maybe a critter walked past it a moment ago... it could be any reason why it will close, but if everything in the tank is good and normal, they will always open up again shortly.
agree. Thats what mine look nice after a hermit, that doesn’t care, walked on it lol. I wouldn’t be too worried. The rest of the heads look healthy

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty weird, I'm sorry I can't help, I really hope someone can advise, I'm very curious. Good luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, a very quick post

All my corals are doing great, but yesterday I noticed that one zoa has its mouth sticking out (purple). I thought something got stuck, but nope. Today second head is the same and the previous one got a bit better.

Can you advice?

Here is the problematic one:

IMG_20230416_114933.jpg

Here is a photo of more to show the others are great (the one with the issue is for a month in the tank, it was two heads at start, water is stable).

fb5322342cd07cac74f0eef094ae1ee701564cd7e5f69055803f31aa9a73dbd1.jpg

Thank you!
This is not a mood swing but your zoas are expelling their zooxanthallae which is due to stress. Stress can be from too much flow and even light as well as lack of nutrients from photosynthesis. When this occurs, there is bleaching of color to follow in which yours seem slightly flushed.
Flow should be enough to keep waste off of them which also will stress them. If you take a turkey baster and give them GENTLE blasts and see dust appearance coming off of them, flow is inadequate
These are a Couple of mine under moderate light and flow:

1681665445181.png
1681665462116.png
1681665477291.png

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow should be enough to keep waste off of them which also will stress them. If you take a turkey baster and give them GENTLE blasts and see dust appearance coming off of them, flow is inadequate

Hi,

I did use baster (yesterday, when it came in on the first one and today on both) but this thing does not come off and there was nothing coming out from them either.

Edit: I was also thinking at first it is zooxanthallae but seen it and this one is not even close. I was thinking pooping but wow that would have to be more extreme than day after night out and kebab with extra hot sauce on the way back home...

Those were perfectly fine (it was two head only when I got it, now it is five). There are 4 other zoas nearby - all perfect and two palys - also fine. Same flow (moderate-low), same light.

This thing comes on two out of four heads (it was one yesterday only).

All surrounding ones are in a perfect shape!

IMG_20230416_182345.jpg

getting there with my ones ;) they need to grow more.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were looking like aliens for a while, then all back to normal really. One polip lost somewhere
Mine is like spitting it’s guts out rrrr… I’m thinking it will be toast today… this is why I hate Zoas lol.. I get a holy grail for a pretty penny and it dies on me.. my high end Sps are doing great.. go figure.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is like spitting it’s guts out rrrr… I’m thinking it will be toast today… this is why I hate Zoas lol.. I get a holy grail for a pretty penny and it dies on me.. my high end Sps are doing great.. go figure.
Too much par?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much par?
I don’t think so but maybe.. it’s down low only like 4” off the sand bed.. I’ll try a more shaded area and see.. driving me crazy! I have a rock with purple monsters and tubbs and it’s growing like weeds right next to it.. no other Zoas in my tank.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so but maybe.. it’s down low only like 4” off the sand bed.. I’ll try a more shaded area and see.. driving me crazy! I have a rock with purple monsters and tubbs and it’s growing like weeds right next to it.. no other Zoas in my tank.
There is no harm to try. This could be multiple things on one go. Zoa could come from less par tank, less all less all other stuff, as softies do not need same setup as sps :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no harm to try. This could be multiple things on one go. Zoa could come from less par tank, less all less all other stuff, as softies do not need same setup as sps :)
Agreed.. it was for sure less light I’ve seen the setup a few times and it’s basically all blue.. I run metal halides lol… it was happy for about 2 weeks and then started going down hill.. rrr

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.. it was for sure less light I’ve seen the setup a few times and it’s basically all blue.. I run metal halides lol… it was happy for about 2 weeks and then started going down hill.. rrr

yeah it was similar with my one. I am still thinking it could have been caused by the light from the lamp focused on them. But well. This would be a guess in fariness.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back