What is more important in this hobby, knowledge or money?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge. BUT, If I had the money I'd have a much more stable system (lots more automation) with way better light coverage. Plus I'd have access much more livestock (read, cool colors and behaviors) then I currently do. Money, allows one to obtain the right tool for the right job which makes all the difference in making any hobby enjoyable vs. a complete disaster.

Thanks to the time we live in Knowledge is the easiest part of this hobby to obtain. It's just a matter of googling the right word combination. Many have had your exact problem before you and the solution to that problem is documented somewhere.

Money on the other hand... way more difficult to obtain.
There's a difference in knowledge and a google search though. Knowledge relates to experience or specific and practical education. The web is chock full of misinformation...

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Witnessed & read numerous accounts of folks with money who couldn't care less to get their hands wet but by paying for someone to care and service their system and even buying corals on their behalf as it's only for it to be showcased to their guests. Mind you though there are some rich folks who are as crazy as anyone of us here too. Yeah ... getting wet! ;)
Honestly had I read & learn much more in depth about this hobby I would have been a lot wiser and not kept wasting monies on fancy hardwares and hyped up fancy named corals without the proper knowledge. Knowledge is Money Saving ... for more high end corals :D!

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge. One of the most beautiful reefs I’ve seen was done with all budget equipment. Then you see reefs with the best of the best and they have nothing but issues because they don’t understand chemistry.

You can have all the flow in the world, can have the beat lights etc. But if your chemistry is off you won’t have any of that.

But black box LEDs, cheap wave makers, and a cheaper skimmer, but have perfect chemistry you’ll have more success then reversed.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in marine aquariums decades ago when money was about as available as quality acros were.

So, knowledge was my currency. I worked on aquariums and maintained them to be able to afford the things I needed.

Now, I am a cheapskate. LOL. I have found ways to save money where possible and spend money where I have to. But, I have see the most impressive (and expensive) builds on this very forum tank and with no explanation. I can point to very beautiful and long term stable systems that cost little in comparison.

Now, there are those that are both expensive AND run by someone who knows what they are doing and are successful. Those are the ones I hate most of all. JUST KIDDING!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge.

Even if you have the highest quality tank and newest high tech gadgetry, your fish and corals will still struggle and/or die if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knowledge is the Key. I have a friend that leave in South Beach, FL and he has a huge reef tank in his huge house but he don't know nothing about fish or corals or how to do a WC cuz someone else do it for him. I not rich but I learn a lot and still learning how to keep my reef tank stable and all inhabitants happy. I'm using the cheap Chinese equipment for now and is working great. Maybe I will upgrading some of those equipments in the near future.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You can have 1 of the 2 and eventually have a successful tank as you slowly acquire the second.

If you start out with BOTH then you can have a successful tank much faster.

In years past before we had amassed the readily available knowledge we now have here you could not "simply" take your money and turn it into a successful tank. Nowadays you CAN because you can readily acquire basic knowledge quickly, which is why we see so many more impressive tanks now (money + faster/easier knowledge).

The real test for the people who have more money than knowledge comes into play when something goes wrong.

Likewise, someone with little money but some knowledge (thinking of myself in college with this hobby) can have an impressive tank, but you may be fighting constant battles with used/worn out equipment, lack of funds for chems/salt/bulbs, buying half dead/tiny/browned out frags to get a deal, etc. etc. and it will take you much more time to achieve that impressive tank.

If you have NO money or NO knowledge then you may never have an impressive tank, but the reality is we all have varying degrees of both (and hopefully BOTH are always increasing for all of us).

I guess my point is that "time" is the real standard and "money" and "knowledge" BOTH help you optimize your time toward achieving that successful tank.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have NO money or NO knowledge then you may never have an impressive tank, but the reality is we all have varying degrees of both (and hopefully BOTH are always increasing for all of us).

We also have varying degrees of what is considered an impressive tank. ;)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~Knowledge~

James-Belushi-Smashes-Guitar-Animal-House2.jpg

front.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge is more important than money, but experience is more important than both. You have to turn the knowledge into experience to truly exceed - people can have all kinds of book/internet read knowledge and truly know nothing.

EDIT: the two are not mutually exclusive. ...although there is a difference in smart money and trendy money. Smart money will get you farther. These are the folks that will not buy new stuff until others have used it for a few years and do not jump into new methods or techniques until they can see some long-term effect with some other smart people who can offer nuance. Smart money also does not usually take anything that a manufacturer or retailer says at face value without other verification and research.

Last edited:

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what a lovely paradox you pose:

Having more knowledge typically means you get to keep more of your money.

But having more money means you can afford more “failure” and thus acquire more knowledge.

TIC (tongue-in-cheek): those with infinite knowledge need no money because they are wise enough to skip over this hobby.

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While money without knowledge won't get you anywhere, IMO knowledge without some money (to buy technology) can make reef keeping impractical. I can't imagine trying to maintain an SPS tank with a busy schedule without technology that can cost a lot of money (Apex, dosers, auto alk testing, various sensors and flow meters, Triton supplements in my case, etc). While yes, this can certainly be done on a budget with knowledge and less technology (money) for someone that has the time and a lot of patience, for me at least it would just be impractical. I saved a long time to build my current tank with all the bells and whistles and can honestly say it pretty much runs itself while still being able to keep sensitive fish and any coral with ease. If I had to do a tank on a budget, I would just build a smaller tank but still keep all the technology in place to make reef keeping practical.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of tank do you want? A 600g sps reef? All the knowledge isn't gonna get you there without money, however spending the money will eventually get you knowledge. At least for most people passionate enough to drop that much.

To be perfectly honest many people here, myself included, wasted a good deal of money but gained a good deal of knowledge.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge, due to the sole reason you can create a beautiful reef with all sorts of corals without breaking the bank. Money only comes into the picture when you are aiming for the flashy and latest gadgets. Also, we can't forget when the impulse to splurge on the fancy corals. Overall, you can create a nice reef with a small budget.

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With unlimited money you can just buyout the top reefers, keep them on retainer, and have them do all the maintenance and upkeep for your tanks. Kinda defeats the "fun" unless you just want to sit back and look at the pretty.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the average person and the average tank knowledge. For anyone else money. I've been in the hobby a long time. I spend more free time on my reefs then anything else. If I win the lottery tomorrow after getting a new house I'm getting a ton of new tanks and I would also find a service person to help me run them. Does that mean I won't do my own testing, water changes ect? No, but if I have someone on the payroll I'll never miss a test, a water change and have someone to look after the tank when I occasionally do other things not just someone I can count on in an emergency.

Back