What is My Clownfish Doing?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by nickkohrn, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:05 AM.

1. nickkohrn

nickkohrn Swimming in a Vast Sea of Knowledge R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

The smaller of my two clownfish, which I presume to be male, has been acting differently within the last day. It keeps going to a single PVC fitting and laying on its side, snuggled up to the bend in the fitting. Other than the described behavior, it acts normally. However, during feedings, it will perform this behavior between snacking on pellets. It is in quarantine with another clownfish, which is presumably female, a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, and a Tricolor Fairy Wrasse. None of the fish have shown signs of disease or parasites. I have had the pair of clownfishes for over three months, and I have had the wrasses since the Sunday of the week of Thanksgiving.

pH - 8.0
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM
    Tags:

2. nickkohrn

nickkohrn Swimming in a Vast Sea of Knowledge R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I also just noticed that the sponge in my HOB filter is turning pink. I have not added any medications to this system. The only addition of anything other than the equipment and fish was Fritz-ZYME Turbostart 900 when I started this system.

IMG_1045.jpg

3. nickkohrn

After doing some more research, it seems that the pink coloration is likely due to feedings and is normal.

4. davocean

davocean Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Cool vid, looks like male is just trying to find a host area

5. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

His breathing rate does seem a tad elevated - keep an eye on that. It could be nothing, or could be a symptom of anything that affects the gills; flukes, ich, velvet . . .

~Bruce

6. nickkohrn

I'm wondering if that's it because the female did it a few times with him.

I thought that his breathing rated looked a little elevated as well, but he's acting normally otherwise. I will keep a closer eye on him over the next few days.

Maritimer and davocean like this.
  7. davocean

davocean Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I caught that as well, checking him quickly and swimming away like nuh uh, she knew better!

Draft saved Draft deleted