What is my feather duster doing

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my feather duster for 2 months. All if a sudden I haven't seen the feathers come out of the tube for 2 weeks. The last several days the top looks weird. Posting pics but their not the greatest. It looks like the tube has 2 horns in the end of it. Any idea what could be going on here!

20210518_202310.jpg 20210518_202319.jpg

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, i’m not totally sure but i’d check your tank parameters. Out of curiosity what tank size is this? The smaller the tank the more everything fluctuates, your feather duster might be getting sensitive to something. Good luck!

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, i’m not totally sure but i’d check your tank parameters. Out of curiosity what tank size is this? The smaller the tank the more everything fluctuates, your feather duster might be getting sensitive to something. Good luck!
I'm working in getting my alkalinity up to around 9. It is currently 7. Nitrates are 0. All other parameters are good. I have a 90 gallon and only GSP and 5 fish, so not a heavy load. I have been running my protein skimmer 24/7 but have backed off to every other day to see if maybe that will help increase the alkalinity some along with dosing reef code A&B.

Hoshiaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working in getting my alkalinity up to around 9. It is currently 7. Nitrates are 0. All other parameters are good. I have a 90 gallon and only GSP and 5 fish, so not a heavy load. I have been running my protein skimmer 24/7 but have backed off to every other day to see if maybe that will help increase the alkalinity some along with dosing reef code A&B.
Oh wow it sounds like you’re taking great care of it :) The only other thing i can think of is maybe the flow’s too strong in that spot or maybe a pest?

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow it sounds like you’re taking great care of it :) The only other thing i can think of is maybe the flow’s too strong in that spot or maybe a pest?
I took my hermit crab out about 3 weeks ago because I caught it picking at it. Hermit went straight to the sump!! I do have porcelain crabs but to my understanding they don't bother anything. I have never caught them bothering anything at least. I can't get it to stay by a rock or anywhere else in my tank. The flow keeps sweeping it right under my wavemaker. It has been there for a month now. Wonder if I should move it and see what happens. Guess I could try and bury it in the sand bed by a rock. Only problem is my goby likes soft the sand around my rocks.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture without blues? It doesn't appear to have its fan crown in the photo.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture without blues? It doesn't appear to have its fan crown in the photo.
I JUST NOW moved it to a different area of the tank and it opened IMMEDIATELY! Buried all but a inch or in the sandbed near a rock. Will see how it goes there.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one doing the same. I know its not the water parms because there are 2 other ones in the tank happy. Mine looks like it started to crack or bend right at the sand line. Its been about a week but I haven't touch it yet. It seems to be repairing its tube. It may have been in to much flow. I will move it soon.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one doing the same. I know its not the water parms because there are 2 other ones in the tank happy. Mine looks like it started to crack or bend right at the sand line. Its been about a week but I haven't touch it yet. It seems to be repairing its tube. It may have been in to much flow. I will move it soon.
I just moved mine and it opened up immediately! So it probably is the flow. I just figured it hasn't been out in 2 weeks so what's it going to hurt to move it at this point. Glad I did! I will see if it's still out when I go home for lunch. If not, I will move it again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back