What is needed for a sump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
6,864
Reaction score
6,574
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to do a sump on this tank build and just want to kind of get a budget in my head. So I would need...

Sump tank
Baffles
Overflow
Pipe/valves
Return Pump
Lots of silicone

Am I missing anything else?
 
You planning on running external or internal pump, it external add bulkheads to your list...
If you are adding a refugium internal to the sump, add lighting to your list also.
 
You planning on running external or internal pump, it external add bulkheads to your list...
If you are adding a refugium internal to the sump, add lighting to your list also.
I will add bulkheads to the list.
 
I know you put "valves" on your list but, I would recommend "Cepex Ball Valve" as opposed to "Socket In-Line Ball Valve"... a bit more money but well worth the expense.
 
I rather spend more and not have to worry.
 
Also I have a old 20g tank that is 24x12x17 could I use that as the tank or do I need to get a 20 long?
 
Also I have a old 20g tank that is 24x12x17 could I use that as the tank or do I need to get a 20 long?
I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it, no leaks?
 
Last edited:
Nope!
 
It might be a bit tight to get a skimmer in a 20. Make sure you know the foot print of your skimmer before you put the baffles in. I used a 29 and that was tight. Ended up with a smaller fuge section than I wanted.
 
So what brand of return pump do you all use?
 
Lol aww man, I was going to use one that was extra loud too :P I am thinking of using a Eheim Compact+ Pump 3000
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new