What is on my decorator crab?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jordanrb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jordanrb

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2025
Messages
214
Reaction score
58
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought it was a chunk of coral but now that it has grown I have no idea. There are a few.
1000017045.jpg
 
Pulled one off and it shriveled up and closed the tube like vents sticking out. It is very hard.
1000017050.jpg
 
I see Aptasia, GHA and some type of simple sponge.
Yeah there is one small aptasia that is in between legs so I can never grab it before it retracts. Im more concerned about the large bubbles. They look almost clear with tube like vents randomly sticking out. If you see my other picture I pulled one off. It almost shriveld up and retracted and turned very hard. I have a bright red sponge in my tank but this doesnt resemble anything like it
 
Yeah there is one small aptasia that is in between legs so I can never grab it before it retracts. Im more concerned about the large bubbles. They look almost clear with tube like vents randomly sticking out. If you see my other picture I pulled one off. It almost shriveld up and retracted and turned very hard. I have a bright red sponge in my tank but this doesnt resemble anything like it
Sponges are quite varied, but in this case, these are solitary tunicates (A.K.A. sea squirts) - harmless filter-feeders.
 
Sponges are quite varied, but in this case, these are solitary tunicates (A.K.A. sea squirts) - harmless filter-feeders.
It 100% is a tunicate. While I cant find an identical match, a lot of images online resemble the ones on the crab. Very interesting. I kind of feel bad for taking on off now. Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new