What is on my elegance coral???

bigdan3489

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2016
Messages
196
Reaction score
76
Location
Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking over my tank and I noticed something moving at the bottom of my elegance coral. I've seen it before but thought it was just a shell stuck to it but it is definitely moving and opening and closing its mouth. What kind of hitchhiker is this and is it bad? It looks like a clam or scallop if some sort......
 
image.jpeg
 
I think you are correct. I would say clam.
 
Cool, from what I am reading they are harmless which is good cause it's pretty cool
 
What do you think [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] ?
 
Could it be a slipper limpet?

EDIT: No, changed my own mind on that one.
 
The scallops I'm used to don't have the the "beak" or the "nose" shape on the back. Not saying there aren't varieties that do, they're just not what I'm used to seeing.

Does it come to a soft point?

cl.jpg
 
I would say yes it has a soft point, here are some more pics
 
Could it be a slipper limpet?

EDIT: No, changed my own mind on that one.

I don't think, the shell shape resembles more of a scallop/clam than a limpet/snail
 
That's moving about? If it is, it looks like an intertidal limpet.
 
It does open and close, are those ok to have?
 
I don't think, the shell shape resembles more of a scallop/clam than a limpet/snail

Nope, I agree. That's why I changed my mind, but I didn't want to erase what I said.
 
OK, I'm getting confused. Does he change locations or is he "stuck" in one place and just making bivalve motions?
 
I have a video of it but I can't figure how to upload it from my iPhone
 
He is just making bivalve motions, he has been on my coral since I got it but I thought it was just a shell till I started to see it move today
 
Nope, I agree. That's why I changed my mind, but I didn't want to erase what I said.

Haha whoops sorry, you must have ninja edited it as I quoted it because I totally missed that lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new