What is on my Emperor angel?

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my juvenile tank-raised Emperor angel. He/she is in an observation tank with several other tank raised fish all purchased directly from Biota. Have been in observation tank for about 4 weeks. I noticed this brown growth on the side of the fish and snapped a few pics……is it a fluke? Does not seem to bother the fish. Not white like typical lymphocystis. The growth appears sessile and does not move. It is definitely raised and looks like a little brown fried egg! Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated!

DSC02839.jpeg DSC02860.jpeg DSC02863.jpeg DSC02864.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my juvenile tank-raised Emperor angel. He/she is in an observation tank with several other tank raised fish all purchased directly from Biota. Have been in observation tank for about 4 weeks. I noticed this brown growth on the side of the fish and snapped a few pics……is it a fluke? Does not seem to bother the fish. Not white like typical lymphocystis. The growth appears sessile and does not move. It is definitely raised and looks like a little brown fried egg! Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated!

DSC02839.jpeg DSC02860.jpeg DSC02863.jpeg DSC02864.jpeg

Flukes don't create spots liked that, and fish direct from Biota are unlikely to have flukes.
I agree that it doesn't look like Lymphocystis and it is in the wrong location for that disease.

The picture is a bit blue and unclear, but I'm leaning towards some sort of skin injury. What other fish are in with it?

Also, the second picture down makes the fish look a bit thin. Be sure you are feeding it multiple (4+) times per day. What foods are you feeding it?

Jay

OP
OP
JRAD

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay- thanks for your fast response. I tried to get some better pics. Got the light as white and bright as it will go. Feed reef nutrition b2 and medium pellets 2-3 times per day then frozen spirulina brine and plankton at night. Occasional Masstick. I keep some nori on a feeder. I don’t think juvenile angels are that into nori! There are 3 silver streak blennies which are a striped BlennyX Kamohara hybrid. There is a Pavo damsel and 3 lyre tail damsels. There is 1.5 inch juvenile Harlequin Tusk. The damsels are aggressive but only to each other….they ignore the other fish. The blennies don’t bother any of the other fish and seem peaceful! All of these are directly from Biota!

DSC02893.jpeg DSC02900.jpeg DSC02921.jpeg DSC02943.jpeg DSC02954.jpeg DSC02863.jpeg IMG_0217.jpeg DSC02968.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay- thanks for your fast response. I tried to get some better pics. Got the light as white and bright as it will go. Feed reef nutrition b2 and medium pellets 2-3 times per day then frozen spirulina brine and plankton at night. Occasional Masstick. I keep some nori on a feeder. I don’t think juvenile angels are that into nori! There are 3 silver streak blennies which are a striped BlennyX Kamohara hybrid. There is a Pavo damsel and 3 lyre tail damsels. There is 1.5 inch juvenile Harlequin Tusk. The damsels are aggressive but only to each other….they ignore the other fish. The blennies don’t bother any of the other fish and seem peaceful! All of these are directly from Biota!

DSC02893.jpeg DSC02900.jpeg DSC02921.jpeg DSC02943.jpeg DSC02954.jpeg DSC02863.jpeg IMG_0217.jpeg DSC02968.jpeg

Good diet then.

Still looks like a possible injury to me. If it just happened the one time, it should heal. If it gets infected (grows larger) then you would need to consider moving it to a treatment/isolation tank and dosing the water with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or kanaplex.

Jay

OP
OP
JRAD

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay…… my plan was to observe the fish for 6 weeks….even though they are tank raised and only treat if an obvious problem came up. Do you feel that this will be ok to introduce to the main tank that has other biota tank raised fish……..a comet, a squarespot anthias ,a pj cardinal and a filefish? My tank is fish only with live rock. It looks like it is prob not a contagious fish dz. I’m hoping it will fall off…..already looks less well defined than when I first noticed it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay…… my plan was to observe the fish for 6 weeks….even though they are tank raised and only treat if an obvious problem came up. Do you feel that this will be ok to introduce to the main tank that has other biota tank raised fish……..a comet, a squarespot anthias ,a pj cardinal and a filefish? My tank is fish only with live rock. It looks like it is prob not a contagious fish dz. I’m hoping it will fall off…..already looks less well defined than when I first noticed it.

It most likely isn’t going to be contagious.

Are the sizes of the various fish such that they will be compatible?

Jay

OP
OP
JRAD

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish are small. I have several large tanks to move the larger fish into when needed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back