Tang and Angel Diseases

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I have some fish I’ve brought back home again from my LFS to quarantine and treat. The two fish I have are a blue hippo tang, and an emperor angel.
To start, the blue hippo tang has white spots covering his body, that sort of look like pimples. After adding prazi last night, some of the spots started oozing a gross purplish looking stuff. Attached below are pictures of the tang from last night.

Regarding the emperor angel, he has something where his fins seem to me flakey, maybe sort of a fuzzy look on the top of his dorsal and a few other spots.
Attached in the imjur link are two videos, one focused on each fish.
They are in copper currently, below therapeutic as I will be raising over time. I have used a single dose of prazi last night, and that is all I have done as of now. I have always had success with using these two at the same time. I know some people recommend not to mix these two treatments, so I just wanted to acknowledge that and mention that I am aware of this.
What could the two of these fish be sick with, and what are my treatment options for them? Thank you!

IMG_0041.png IMG_0042.png IMG_0043.png IMG_0044.png IMG_0045.png IMG_0046.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all!
I have some fish I’ve brought back home again from my LFS to quarantine and treat. The two fish I have are a blue hippo tang, and an emperor angel.
To start, the blue hippo tang has white spots covering his body, that sort of look like pimples. After adding prazi last night, some of the spots started oozing a gross purplish looking stuff. Attached below are pictures of the tang from last night.

Regarding the emperor angel, he has something where his fins seem to me flakey, maybe sort of a fuzzy look on the top of his dorsal and a few other spots.
They are in copper currently, below therapeutic as I will be raising over time. I have used a single dose of prazi last night, and that is all I have done as of now. I have always had success with using these two at the same time. I know some people recommend not to mix these two treatments, so I just wanted to acknowledge that and mention that I am aware of this.
What could the two of these fish be sick with, and what are my treatment options for them? Thank you!

Keep an eye on this as it may be a skin irritation or mucus cones. 24 hours will tell

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on this as it may be a skin irritation or mucus cones. 24 hours will tell
Looked online at some threads, it looks like that is most likely the issue with the blue tang. I haven’t really found any methods for treatment other than people using general cure, and usually people don’t update threads with the result on these posts. Any ideas?
Also, any thoughts as to what the emperor angel could have?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looked online at some threads, it looks like that is most likely the issue with the blue tang. I haven’t really found any methods for treatment other than people using general cure, and usually people don’t update threads with the result on these posts. Any ideas?
Also, any thoughts as to what the emperor angel could have?
General cure or Ruby rally pro which is reef safe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

What copper are you using? If amine-based, you should get to a full dose right away. I prefer to use copper first and prazi second.

The hepatus tang has mucus plugs. This is their response to some stress. The copper may do that, but so do some diseases.

The emperor could have the start of lymphocystis, as that species is really prone to that. Luckily, that disease isn’t fatal.

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have these fish in quarantine based on the photos. You mentioned you have not reached therapeutic levels for copper. Copper is not effective until you reach your target concentration. If you are using Copper Power or Copper Safe, you should maintain between 2.25 and 2.50 ppm. If cupramine, target 0.45 to 0.50 ppm. Delayed dosing only gives any parasites present more time to gain control.

General Cure is praziquantel and metronidazole.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper are you using? If amine-based, you should get to a full dose right away. I prefer to use copper first and prazi second.

The hepatus tang has mucus plugs. This is their response to some stress. The copper may do that, but so do some diseases.

The emperor could have the start of lymphocystis, as that species is really prone to that. Luckily, that disease isn’t fatal.

Jay
Copper Power is what I am using. I guess I should have phrased this better though haha. Copper is at 2.25 so technically it is therapeutic, but it’s below 2.5, which is what I am slowly raising it too today. Usually I would have liked to start at 2ppm, and raise it even slower.
The blue hippo had the spots all over before copper, but the copper/prazi are what made them all start leaving the body. I will be using general cure, but I have also seen online that some people scrape these mucous plugs off. Is this something worth doing? It seems like the blue hippo tried to scratch them off himself, which is a bit hard in a bare bottom tank I suppose.
Lymphs are what I thought for the emperor, I wasn’t sure though. I’ve only ever seen them once. Is this something general cure will deal with as well?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have these fish in quarantine based on the photos. You mentioned you have not reached therapeutic levels for copper. Copper is not effective until you reach your target concentration. If you are using Copper Power or Copper Safe, you should maintain between 2.25 and 2.50 ppm. If cupramine, target 0.45 to 0.50 ppm. Delayed dosing only gives any parasites present more time to gain control.

General Cure is praziquantel and metronidazole.
Haha yeah, sorry about my wording. I have copper at 2.25, by below therapeutic I meant it was below 2.5, as I am using copper power. And yes, they are it QT! The store I help out at doesn’t have room to set up QT tanks sometimes, so I set up a tank at my apartment, and occasionally I’ll bring sick fish home to quarantine them and then bring them back.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power is what I am using. I guess I should have phrased this better though haha. Copper is at 2.25 so technically it is therapeutic, but it’s below 2.5, which is what I am slowly raising it too today. Usually I would have liked to start at 2ppm, and raise it even slower.
The blue hippo had the spots all over before copper, but the copper/prazi are what made them all start leaving the body. I will be using general cure, but I have also seen online that some people scrape these mucous plugs off. Is this something worth doing? It seems like the blue hippo tried to scratch them off himself, which is a bit hard in a bare bottom tank I suppose.
Lymphs are what I thought for the emperor, I wasn’t sure though. I’ve only ever seen them once. Is this something general cure will deal with as well?
Lymphocystis just needs to run its course, general cure will NOT help with that at all.

Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis just needs to run its course, general cure will NOT help with that at all.

Jay
Oh gotcha, anything I can do to help it run its course? A customer dropped him back off at the store because he had those spots, so he is in my possession until he gets better.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gotcha, anything I can do to help it run its course? A customer dropped him back off at the store because he had those spots, so he is in my possession until he gets better.

I'm not 100% certain that this is Lymphocystis, but if it is, it will likely get worse and then eventually get better over 6 weeks or so.

Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% certain that this is Lymphocystis, but if it is, it will likely get worse and then eventually get better over 6 weeks or so.

Jay
Gotcha. I wasn’t 100% sure if it was lymphs either, as I have never seen lymphs exactly like this, but I’ve also never seen anything like this anywhere else. If it was lymphs, would it spread to the blue hippo tang?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will likely be putting him into a separate tank to prevent spreading of the virus, so he will have been in the quarantine tank for less than a day. If I was to add a different fish to the quarantine tank after removing the Angel, could the new fish also catch the virus? I don’t plan to add any new fish, I’m just wondering whether it is spread by direct contact between fish or if it exists in the water column.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I wasn’t 100% sure if it was lymphs either, as I have never seen lymphs exactly like this, but I’ve also never seen anything like this anywhere else. If it was lymphs, would it spread to the blue hippo tang?

Lymphocystis can spread to other fish that have not been exposed to it, but once exposed in the past, they won't develop symptoms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back