What is on my sandbed??

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what it is now, But my instincts are to siphon stiuf off the sand bed asap with the water changes

My concern is that it may have been something unnatural that made its way into the tank and is settling,.

Add to the confusion, I don't trust my eyes to distinguish between hues unless the LEDS are on all white. Gray may not be gray under different spectrums. (just take any coral out of your tank and wonder what happened to it and how did the brown stick get in my hands.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what it is now, But my instincts are to siphon stiuf off the sand bed asap with the water changes

My concern is that it may have been something unnatural that made its way into the tank and is settling,.

Add to the confusion, I don't trust my eyes to distinguish between hues unless the LEDS are on all white. Gray may not be gray under different spectrums. (just take any coral out of your tank and wonder what happened to it and how did the brown stick get in my hands.
Could it be the polyp lab one that I was dosing? I since stopped because my water turned really cloudy one day and it is still cloudy. I just assumed it was a bacteria bloom. I’m not so sure now.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just adjusted my powerhead so it hits the sandbed more, will that help?
Here is my powerhead now, it is all collecting in this one spot now. The problem with that is I can’t siphon this spot because it is under the rock where my siphon can’t reach.

3771B464-06FD-4AE6-B51C-300CC32DAC67.jpeg 7D30BD88-1F20-4301-ACED-6B884D045FDE.jpeg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be the polyp lab one that I was dosing? I since stopped because my water turned really cloudy one day and it is still cloudy. I just assumed it was a bacteria bloom. I’m not so sure now.

Ingredients: Calcium Acetate, Magnesium Acetate, Hydroxide Salts

could be a precipitation.

post the pics in the chemistry forum and ask of polyp one could precipitate as gray powder on the sand bed .

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"This product will temporarily cloud aquarium water after dosing so it is recommended to dose ONE at night."

I checked, you could be right. Its organic carbon and so a form of carbon dosing which would explain the cloud

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry..I'm still learning and new,Just chill out for awhile and see what the tank does.
Looks like your Clowns are happy...great sign:)

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more point. Users report they need to shake the bottle before dosing. Since that's the case (and the aceates are available in powder form), this very well can be the polylab one falling to the sand bed floor

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more point. Users report they need to shake the bottle before dosing. Since that's the case (and the aceates are available in powder form), this very well can be the polylab one falling to the sand bed floor
I did shake it very well, but one day the inside of the bottle turned solid again so shook it for another 10 minutes and then dosed. If this is polyp lab one precipitate, if i get all of the stuff out of the sand and stop dosing forever, does that mean this won’t happen to me again?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did shake it very well, but one day the inside of the bottle turned solid again so shook it for another 10 minutes and then dosed. If this is polyp lab one precipitate, if i get all of the stuff out of the sand and stop dosing forever, does that mean this won’t happen to me again?

i'm still guessing, but if it doesn't stay dissolved in the bottle and similar products are available in powder form, it may not stay in the water column.

clean the sand bed. Don't dose anything unless you are sure you need to do so. Keep it simple, it's a new tank.

poly lab one is two birds with one stone. It's replaces Alk, CA & Mg that the corals are using up, plus its a form of carbon dosing - read up on that - which is adding organic (not activated) carbon into the tank that feeds bacteria that uses up nitrogen, and then that bacteria gets removed from the tank by the protein skimmer. The net effect it lowers NO3. Both these are techniques for mature tanks and require some advanced testing skills/kits. I wouldn't recommend either for a new tank given that water changes by themself should be all you need.

keep updating the progress.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm still guessing, but if it doesn't stay dissolved in the bottle and similar products are available in powder form, it may not stay in the water column.

clean the sand bed. Don't dose anything unless you are sure you need to do so. Keep it simple, it's a new tank.

poly lab one is two birds with one stone. It's replaces Alk, CA & Mg that the corals are using up, plus its a form of carbon dosing - read up on that - which is adding organic (not activated) carbon into the tank that feeds bacteria that uses up nitrogen, and then that bacteria gets removed from the tank by the protein skimmer. The net effect it lowers NO3. Both these are techniques for mature tanks and require some advanced testing skills/kits. I wouldn't recommend either for a new tank given that water changes by themself should be all you need.

keep updating the progress.
Sure thing, thanks for all of your help!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back