What is on this fish?

ElderMillennial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the tank today I noticed one of my Bangai has a white “growth” on his right side in the middle of his body.

he is eating, but not moving around the tank like normal.

sorry for the picture quality he is just hiding so it was hard to get a good one.

thank you for you help.

F628964C-9294-4A91-AA9E-98D4A8171F34.jpeg 076D99B5-1671-4B1C-9E74-A71CA1E79233.jpeg 12BEB8DD-5958-43FB-9760-9527A0FDB144.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Banggai cardinal and either an abscess or what I believe to be post injury which has developed into a secondary bacterial infection. Treatment best will be seachem neoplex in a separate quarantine tank the same temp as your display tank.
Is fish eating ? If so, you can also add seachem metroplex to its food for added protection.

OP
OP
ElderMillennial

ElderMillennial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That white thing fell off…. It actual had some thickness to it. Was about 3mm x 2mm and 2mm thick Now it has a small sore on its side… maybe it was a scab? I’ve never seen that before.

he is eating fine. He is in quarantine now With a UV.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That white thing fell off…. It actual had some thickness to it. Was about 3mm x 2mm and 2mm thick Now it has a small sore on its side… maybe it was a scab? I’ve never seen that before.

he is eating fine. He is in quarantine now With a UV.

Weird, I've never seen anything like that. What color is the sore that remains?

Jay

OP
OP
ElderMillennial

ElderMillennial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sore is a light pink fading into the natural colors on the side. It’s about 2mm circle.
He is in quarantine now. I’ll treat broad spectrum for a few weeks and see what happens.

there really isn’t any over aggression beyond what would be normal… tangs chasing each other maroon clown chasing fish away from its spot… but nothing really bad…. Although I can only see what I see and something may be happening when I’m not around or at night.

OP
OP
ElderMillennial

ElderMillennial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few days in QT with some broad spec antibiotics he is good as new.

thanks for your help. I’ve never seen anything like that. Looked like a scab.

also did get My “dream tank” (8ft x 3ft x 3ft acrylic I got from a restaurant going out of business bcz of Covid) I’ll try and post pics of the build as it goes.
Thank you guys again.

Back