What is the best kind of external pump?

cameron Wollaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a 300 gallon saltwater set up for fragging in my basement and I'm expanding. I was wondering what the best kind of pump would be to put in to have a steady moderate flow. We have Blueline pumps now and they work great. I've never had a problem with them, the only problem is Blueline does not make a pump big enough(gallons per hour) for what I'm looking to do. I was hoping you guys could tell me what another good brand name would be to look into that would be big enough for what I'm looking to do. Price does not matter, we just want a well working pump that won't quit on me or give me issues.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an iwaki. Goid preussure and flow. Reliable and has many years of business.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an iawki MD-100RLT. I bought it because I have to pump 500+ gph up 16 feet.

You need to measure how far up you need to pump the water. Determine how many gallons per hour you need to pump. Double that number because you will want to pump water through other things like media reactors possibly, and pumps don't really perform at maximum specs. Not to mention you have elbows in your plumbing that slow things down.

Now look at pump performance curves for height/volumn. My 100RLT is about 1000 gph at 16 feet. I am realizing about 600 gph mostly due to 32' of plumbing with 4 elbows.
Finding pump head height curves can be difficult. A lot of pumps say what their maximum head height is. Some provide maximum head height and volume they pump and that height. The best pumps will have curves you can look at to determine the maximum volume at your head height.

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is not a concern, take a look at Abyzz. They have several models of varying flow, DC power, variable speed, quiet, very well made pumps that can be installed either internally or externally. I'm using their A100 with my skimmer and their A200 as my return pump.

Back