• Poll closed .

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the drill.

Due to the last vote being an exactly 50/50 tie, I removed my vote which means are winner is Duncan!

Scolymia
--------------------Scolymia
Cynarina

Frogspawn (branching or wall)
-----------------------------------------------torches
Torches

Favia
------------------favia
Platygyra

Trachyphyllia
------------------------Acanthophyllia
Acanthophyllia

Blastomoussa
-------------------------Duncan
Duncan

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going for Symphyllia as I love the colour. Although it’s another coral I cannot have personally, same with Lobophyllia. Purely due to my lighting in one tank and my fish in another.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going for Symphyllia as I love the colour. Although it’s another coral I cannot have personally, same with Lobophyllia. Purely due to my lighting in one tank and my fish in another.
Really? I find that they can have the same color as lobos, it's a hard choice, though symphyllia have a better growth pattern in my opinion

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I find that they can have the same color as lobos, it's a hard choice, though symphyllia have a better growth pattern in my opinion
I agree with the better growth, as for the colour I find Symphyllia to be more widely available as different colours as well as brighter.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symphyllia is a junior synonym of Lobophyllia; almost all the Symphyllia species were reclassified to Lobophyllia following genetic studies around 2016, with one species, Symphyllia wilsoni, getting its own genus, Australophyllia.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symphyllia is a junior synonym of Lobophyllia; almost all the Symphyllia species were reclassified to Lobophyllia following genetic studies around 2016, with one species, Symphyllia wilsoni, getting its own genus, Australophyllia.
Yes, wilisoni are going to be in a different vote, symphyllia as in single polyp and looks like a wall verison of lobo

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can’t really beat a colorful Wilsoni but let me see if I can sway some minds on lobos… I miss this colony. I can honestly say the pics don’t do it justice. It feeding is my 3rd most favorite reefing moment behind only breeding clowns and mandarin courtship.
IMG_7240.jpeg

IMG_7256.jpeg

IMG_7179.jpeg
IMG_8088.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7187.jpeg
    IMG_7187.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Lobophyllia, not a "Symphyllia." "Symphyllia" have shared walls; they're meandroid, not flabello-meandroid.
I always thought of "symphyllia" as closely related to lobos with similar growth pattern/skeletal structure to an anacora hammer, like this

Screenshot_20230925_081801_Samsung Internet.jpg

While your."classic lobophyllia" looking like this
Screenshot_20230925_081817_Samsung Internet.jpg

Though it would make sense that they would be reclassified as lobophyllia, though I still refer to lobophyllia with this kind of growth as Symphyllia

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought of "symphyllia" as closely related to lobos with similar growth pattern/skeletal structure to an anacora hammer, like this

Screenshot_20230925_081801_Samsung Internet.jpg

While your."classic lobophyllia" looking like this
Screenshot_20230925_081817_Samsung Internet.jpg

Though it would make sense that they would be reclassified as lobophyllia, though I still refer to lobophyllia with this kind of growth as Symphyllia
The 'classic' lobophyllia you shared is now part of the Acanthastrea genus, and the entirety of Symphyllia has been annexed into Lobophyllia. So at this point, the whole poll is "shared wall lobo vs split wall lobo".

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'classic' lobophyllia you shared is now part of the Acanthastrea genus, and the entirety of Symphyllia has been annexed into Lobophyllia. So at this point, the whole poll is "shared wall lobo vs split wall lobo".
Basically

Also I need to speak with who classified lobos as acans

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back