What is the best way to get rid of Dino’s?

SteveL99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch - no vibrant !!! No nopox either as they are fuel to feed the dino !
Give tank a good siphoning and turn off lights for 5 days. Add at Night 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons to the tank. Each day siphon and during day add 1ml of liquid bacteria such as bacter 7 to the tank. 5th should be clear of dino. Feed tank food as normal during treatment.
I've recently joined the Dino Outbreak Club. Quick question, do you add the hydrogen peroxide all at once, or deliver throughout the evening with a dosing pump? My tank is 180g total volume. Dump 18ml in about an hour after lights-out? Or does 18ml over the course of the evening? Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've recently joined the Dino Outbreak Club. Quick question, do you add the hydrogen peroxide all at once, or deliver throughout the evening with a dosing pump? My tank is 180g total volume. Dump 18ml in about an hour after lights-out? Or does 18ml over the course of the evening? Thanks in advance!
I add the 1ml per 10 gals all at once

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give tank a good siphoning and turn off lights for 5 days. Add at Night 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons to the tank. Each day siphon and during day add 1ml of liquid bacteria such as bacter 7 to the tank. 5th should be clear of dino. Feed tank food as normal during treatment.
Hey man, do I need to turn off the skimmer and pump after adding Hydrogen Peroxide?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey man, do I need to turn off the skimmer and pump after adding Hydrogen Peroxide?
No. Do dump skimmer cup Daily as well as cleaning any filters daily

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean 1ml of bottle bac or 1ml per 10 gallons or...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

JosephNg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, I followed @vetteguy53081 ‘s method and no visible sign of dino and cyano after 3 days. I’ll keep the tank in blackout for another 2 days with H2O2 injection and bacteria dosing.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing @vetteguy53081 method.
I've had the lights off since Tuesday (4 days now) and all is still good. I've been adding hydrogen Peroxide at night and Dr Tim's re-fresh during the day.
I'm about to switch to dosing Dr Tim's Eco Balance instead of the re-fresh.
Dinos or whatever they are have taken a hit and are not as visible as they were.
I know it's not gone but I'm about to hit them really hard!
Starting probably next week, I plan on doing a hybrid of Dr Tim's Dino treatment with Elegance Corals Dino treatment.
I've got my wooden airstone ready. I have Dr Tim's Refresh and Waste Away along with Dr Tim's Eco Balance. I have Microbacter7 on order and that should arrive on Tuesday. I just need to get some cheap vodka.

I've never vodka dosed before and from what I can tell, Elegance Corals dino treatment calls for a LOT of vodka dosing which is meant to supercharge the bacteria and pretty much create a bacteria bloom. I can't lie, I'm kinda scared to do that but I really want to kick whatever I have going on.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been doing @vetteguy53081 method.
I've had the lights off since Tuesday (4 days now) and all is still good. I've been adding hydrogen Peroxide at night and Dr Tim's re-fresh during the day.
I'm about to switch to dosing Dr Tim's Eco Balance instead of the re-fresh.
Dinos or whatever they are have taken a hit and are not as visible as they were.
I know it's not gone but I'm about to hit them really hard!
Starting probably next week, I plan on doing a hybrid of Dr Tim's Dino treatment with Elegance Corals Dino treatment.
I've got my wooden airstone ready. I have Dr Tim's Refresh and Waste Away along with Dr Tim's Eco Balance. I have Microbacter7 on order and that should arrive on Tuesday. I ust need to get some cheap vodka.

I've never vodka dosed before and from what I can tell, Elegance Corals dino treatment calls for a LOT of vodka dosing which is meant to supercharge the bacteria and pretty much create a bacteria bloom. I can't lie, I'm kinda scared to do that but I really want to kick whatever I have going on.

Anyone have any advice on this?
Dont add vodka

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont add vodka
Why not?
I want to try to understand. What is the advantage or disadvantage of vodka?

Dr Tim's Dino treatment calls for 3 day blackout while using their re-fresh and Waste Away.

Elegance Corals dino treatment calls for using starter bacteria along with Dr Tim's Waste Away along with a lot of vodka dosing and hydrogen Peroxide.

Your way does not call for that.

I would like to understand why some things are the same, some are similar and some are different.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why not?
I want to try to understand. What is the advantage or disadvantage of vodka?

Dr Tim's Dino treatment calls for 3 day blackout while using their re-fresh and Waste Away.

Elegance Corals dino treatment calls for using starter bacteria along with Dr Tim's Waste Away along with a lot of vodka dosing and hydrogen Peroxide.

Your way does not call for that.

I would like to understand why some things are the same, some are similar and some are different.
Vodka is fuel/food for dino and cyano

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the club! I switched skimmers a while back. Bottomed out.... Dino infestation. Not following my own advice. I tried a giant pond UV but it only knocked them back some, it would never really get them, especially on the sand. I siphoned today but they are coming back. I took the UV out and am going to try @vetteguy53081 method starting tomorrow. Is any store-bought Hydrogen Peroxide fine? Just lights off or wrapped? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Add me to the club! I switched skimmers a while back. Bottomed out.... Dino infestation. Not following my own advice. I tried a giant pond UV but it only knocked them back some, it would never really get them, especially on the sand. I siphoned today but they are coming back. I took the UV out and am going to try @vetteguy53081 method starting tomorrow. Is any store-bought Hydrogen Peroxide fine? Just lights off or wrapped? Thanks!
Store bought is good. Walmart is 92 cents

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store bought is good. Walmart is 92 cents
So, I’m on day 3. So far so good. I have the room extremely dark. Tank looks very clean with a flash light.

What is the suggestion for turning lights back on? Ramp up? Or just resume as normal? How many days if ramp up is recommended? Mahalo!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So, I’m on day 3. So far so good. I have the room extremely dark. Tank looks very clean with a flash light.

What is the suggestion for turning lights back on? Ramp up? Or just resume as normal? How many days if ramp up is recommended? Mahalo!
Ramp up and add.5ml of peroxide at night for 2 weeks as an insurance

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so far so good. Lights on today. Everything looks clean. Nothing wast lost. Nitrates are up. Thinking about adding .5 ml per gallon as suggested and same with bacteria for at least a week as recommended above.

kooroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should skimmer be kept on? Also should filter media like Purigen and matrix be left in the tank during this time?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back