What is the best way to glue your live rock?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I was wondering what was the best to glue and stack live rock, to create taller columns on my tank?

Right now I have a very plain and simple aquascape, but was think in buying more live rock to make it more complex

This is how it looks now:

IMG_7825.JPG

I'd like to make a column higher on one of the sides.

Thanks a lot guys,

Hugo Garcia

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling the rocks and using plastic rods is probably your best bet, but a properly placed ball of epoxy can work wonders sometimes too though. (and a lot of patience) You can also use super glue gel in combination with the epoxy for an even stronger bond.

I think it looks good just like that btw. As corals get bigger & bigger they can take up quite a bit of space. GL.

Last edited:

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case, I'd add a med-large base rock under one side of your rock formation, that would give you some height without compromising stability.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Masonry drill bit, fiberglass rod. Fiberglass rods can be had cheaply by buying driveway markers from Lowes, Home Depot....etc.

Adhering them together is best done dry if possible and can be done many ways with epoxy, hydraulic cement.......etc.

If you can't dry the rock out for adhesive, just drill and stack using the fiberglass rod. Works well.

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Jurassic Gel from BRS while the rocks were dry. Hold is incredible, but you have to be willing to dry out those rocks... I'm not sure if you've cycled already so that may be a deal breaker.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back