Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im between
Apex gold
Digital aquatics Archon.... Reefkeeper elite
They kind of look the same, both has the pretty much the same features, decisions.... Decisions..
I dont want it to buy something so expensive and regret it later... I will keep reading and searching for both... If anyone here with any reviews on the Archon please let me know.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Archon and ReefKeeper elite are two very different controllers. However they do share the ability to control the same modules. This was done to allow the Archon to be backwards compatible. The abilities of the arc on are way ahead of the ReefKeeper elite. The biggest difference you will see is the interface, everything is web browser based. Where is there ReefKeeper you had to have a net module or do all programming on the head unit or plug it into your computer to program it. The Archon also comes with 4 programmable analog channels 2 programmable PWM channels and 4 switch ports integrated into the controller. It also has two selectable ph/orp ports. I am a beta tester for the Archon and let me tell you it is completely different from the reef keeper. Going back to the reef keeper is like going back to the Stone Age.
In addition the Archon comes with integrated Wi-Fi and wired network connections where is you have to use the net module for the reef keeper. It is also completely open source JavaScript linux-based so if you want to do some customization it is extremely easy to do so.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef angel and have been running it for 5 years. The thing is pretty solid and infinitely customizable. I'm a big fan of it and the support is great.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard to write code for this reef angel? I was thinking about getting one but it kind of scares me with having to write code.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Archon and ReefKeeper elite are two very different controllers. However they do share the ability to control the same modules. This was done to allow the Archon to be backwards compatible. The abilities of the arc on are way ahead of the ReefKeeper elite. The biggest difference you will see is the interface, everything is web browser based. Where is there ReefKeeper you had to have a net module or do all programming on the head unit or plug it into your computer to program it. The Archon also comes with 4 programmable analog channels 2 programmable PWM channels and 4 switch ports integrated into the controller. It also has two selectable ph/orp ports. I am a beta tester for the Archon and let me tell you it is completely different from the reef keeper. Going back to the reef keeper is like going back to the Stone Age.
In addition the Archon comes with integrated Wi-Fi and wired network connections where is you have to use the net module for the reef keeper. It is also completely open source JavaScript linux-based so if you want to do some customization it is extremely easy to do so.
Thats good to know! Well reefkeeper is out!
Between Archon and apex, what would you choose? I know it depends on what I want to do it... I want the best, something that I can check the most when Im traveling, simething good and reliable...

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not use the apex So i cannot speak of it. I know they are very popular and have a large user base. They have some good features. I went with the ReefKeeper years ago because of used system availability and as I expanded I got more and more engraved. I was about to get out of my rke and look at apex when the archon came along. Now that I've used it for 9 months, I have no desire to look elsewheres.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a beta tester for the Archon. I used the RKE until getting the Archon. Like Lindsey I do not want to go back to the RKE. I have things at the tank and also in my garage. With an iPad I have the same access to the controller in either location. As far as that goes I could be in a different state and still have the same access. There are some things I would not be able to do without being there such as port calibration. I guess that is even possible if you have someone to place the probe in the different calibration fluids for you while you do the calibration. The memory and a lot of the programming is on a USB memory stick. It comes with a 4gb memory stick but I am currently using a 16gb stick so it is very expandable. As a beta tester it makes it easier to have 2 memory sticks. That way I can update the files on the stick and just have the system powered down omly for the amount of time it takes to change out the stick. Although as of late that has not been necessary since thay are now updating the files on the stick via the Archon. I use the 2 PWM channels with my LED lighting. I use the Meanwell LDD type drivers and drive them directly with the Archon. Two of the 0-10v channels have the same connectors as the APC module. If you get the Archon make sure and get the IOE module. This is the breakout box for the 4 switch ports, 2 of the 0-10v outputs and the 2 PWM outputs. It makes it lot easier to connect to these ports. I am very happy with the Archon. I have never used the Apex so I cannot comment on it.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a beta tester for the Archon. I used the RKE until getting the Archon. Like Lindsey I do not want to go back to the RKE. I have things at the tank and also in my garage. With an iPad I have the same access to the controller in either location. As far as that goes I could be in a different state and still have the same access. There are some things I would not be able to do without being there such as port calibration. I guess that is even possible if you have someone to place the probe in the different calibration fluids for you while you do the calibration. The memory and a lot of the programming is on a USB memory stick. It comes with a 4gb memory stick but I am currently using a 16gb stick so it is very expandable. As a beta tester it makes it easier to have 2 memory sticks. That way I can update the files on the stick and just have the system powered down omly for the amount of time it takes to change out the stick. Although as of late that has not been necessary since thay are now updating the files on the stick via the Archon. I use the 2 PWM channels with my LED lighting. I use the Meanwell LDD type drivers and drive them directly with the Archon. Two of the 0-10v channels have the same connectors as the APC module. If you get the Archon make sure and get the IOE module. This is the breakout box for the 4 switch ports, 2 of the 0-10v outputs and the 2 PWM outputs. It makes it lot easier to connect to these ports. I am very happy with the Archon. I have never used the Apex so I cannot comment on it.
Thank you!

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there are Not many apex users! I only see good reviews of the Archon controller... I will have my final answer between Apex or Archon by this wkd.

Rob reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question!,
My apex module went out , my warranty expire already, do they seel only the module?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question!,
My apex module went out , my warranty expire already, do they seel only the module?
I am not sure what this has to do with the OP's thread. Are you asking for help with an issue with your Apex? If so it may be best to start another thread for that.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question!,
n2.... is right. But the quick answer is we can repair products out of warranty for a nominal fee and get them back to you in under a week.

I guess in that respect (making a purchasing decision) it is kind of relevant. Knowing you have good support and options even after the warranty expires is important.

whatchamacallit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the same thing on deciding. I was able to get hands on with all the controllers. Apex was the best in my opinion, by far.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to make sure your question would get answered. It looks like the correct person to answer was monitoring this thread. That does not happen all the time. That is why it is better to post a new thread if the thread is on a different topic. The main thing is you got an answer to your question.

Rob reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to make sure your question would get answered. It looks like the correct person to answer was monitoring this thread. That does not happen all the time. That is why it is better to post a new thread if the thread is on a different topic. The main thing is you got an answer to your questin.
Thank , I guess I was lucky, I did contact Neptune manufacture n I send the module n the are going to fix it for a fee
Thanks again

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard to write code for this reef angel? I was thinking about getting one but it kind of scares me with having to write code.

The wizard writes all the code for you. If you need something custom coded, just post your question on the RAVforum and someone will quickly help you. It's a great product at a great price.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back