What is the biggest issue you face right now in keeping a saltwater aquarium?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
problems-solutions-roadsigns-595x335.jpg

Sometimes talking about issues in life can really help you gain insight and resolutions. The same can be said in keeping a saltwater aquarium. In my latest EMBARRASSED thread I was able to post about an SPS issue that had plagued me and because of it am on the right track to gaining some real knowledge that will empower me to become keeper of sticks!

This is a post-Starbucks topic by the way. :p

So I got to thinking about all the things we can accomplish and all the issues we can correct that begins with talking about it. Of course after you talk about it there has to be action! But it starts with admitting! So while we don't really have anything to "admit" in keeping reef tanks we do however have a responsibility to be the best keepers of reefs that we can be.

So in the spirit of "talking things out" I want to ask you this question and I need you to be VERY honest. Hopefully your honesty will lead to reefing victory! Here it goes.

As others read I hope those with answers will chime in and help. We each are part of a Reefing Family, a Reefing Body and we need each other. Maybe you're not really up against a wall at this time. If that's you how about sharing something that WAS an issue with you and what you did to overcome it!

IMG_1761.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue is trying to juggle tank maintenance, along with work, the kids, the wife, the house (maintenence and repairs) family, and friends. Some days it seems everyone wants you to go 6 different directions at the same time, and all you want to do is scrub the algae off the glass lol.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My biggest issue is trying to juggle tank maintenance, along with work, the kids, the wife, the house (maintenence and repairs) family, and friends. Some days it seems everyone wants you to go 6 different directions at the same time, and all you want to do is scrub the algae off the glass lol.

+1 - Summers are particularly difficult with all the summer outdoor stuff going on. I get ribbed for tank maintenance at night when we are all sitting by the tank watching a kid movie. I am there but just not sitting there watching. I have a busy job but find time to do DT and QT maintenance before work and during the noon hour at times (I only work about 8 miles from home). So am fortunate for that.

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough question! So many issues to juggle.

Probably maintaining things the proper way.
After I hit the all time high of 23 total systems running, I decided to cut that number way back and consolidate into a more manageable number.
The total systems running at this time is 8.
3 is the number being aimed for next.

Plumbing multiple displays into one system is where things are headed, at that time different projects can be managed separately, but from the same system.
Hopefully this is how it will read within the next 3 years:

Outside
One koi pond < 20K G's

Inside
One Saltwater < 3K G's
One Freshwater < 1K G's

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problems-solutions-roadsigns-595x335.jpg

Sometimes talking about issues in life can really help you gain insight and resolutions. The same can be said in keeping a saltwater aquarium. In my latest EMBARRASSED thread I was able to post about an SPS issue that had plagued me and because of it am on the right track to gaining some real knowledge that will empower me to become keeper of sticks!

This is a post-Starbucks topic by the way. :p

So I got to thinking about all the things we can accomplish and all the issues we can correct that begins with talking about it. Of course after you talk about it there has to be action! But it starts with admitting! So while we don't really have anything to "admit" in keeping reef tanks we do however have a responsibility to be the best keepers of reefs that we can be.

So in the spirit of "talking things out" I want to ask you this question and I need you to be VERY honest. Hopefully your honesty will lead to reefing victory! Here it goes.

As others read I hope those with answers will chime in and help. We each are part of a Reefing Family, a Reefing Body and we need each other. Maybe you're not really up against a wall at this time. If that's you how about sharing something that WAS an issue with you and what you did to overcome it!

IMG_1761.jpg
Not having enough room in my tank and having to convince my wife I need a new and BIGGER one!

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power outage. My power has been out since midnight. It’s currently 11:11 am. The last update I got from Oncore was 4pm. That’s the fourth time they’ve extended it. I have 2 tanks. A 55 and a 35 tall hexagon. I had 2 powerheads and a bubbler on a battery back-up pack that has used up all its juice about 2 hours ago. I had to go buy a generator. All my budget would allow was one with a 700 amp output, so same is hooked up to it. 2 powerheads and a bubbler. So far, all is well. Except my dwarf lion. ☹️. Lost him. All I have on the 35 gal is a battery bubbler hoping it’s enough. There isn’t much left in there bc I’m actually in the process of combining the 2 tanks into a 140 gal upgrade.

I know we spend a lot on this hobby on equipment. Having nice lights, good powerheads, good sumps, etc. But planning for an emergency is also important. Should be on the top of the list now in my opinion. Watching a fish you’ve had for 4 years struggling for air isn’t a good feeling. ☹️. After all, we as reefers know they aren’t “just fish”.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the cost, over and over new stuff springs up to buy, especially replacing filter media, thats a pain.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find too many issues. I'm retired military/L.E. and have the time to do as I choose and need. I have one young child and 3 adult children on their own whom I have supplied 180g tank each (except for my youngest child of 8) and they know their stuff.

My only issue is my 33-year-old son died the latter part of October 2017 and his tank is 90 minutes away which I've been going down a couple of times a week to keep it in order until I distribute the livestock to my other two adult children which is what I have begun.

When that part is complete, I will donate his 180g for a worthy cause.

I'm not seeking a pity party, just answering the posed question honestly. :)

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just hit the GROW stage. I have mainly LPS and lots of birdsnest/monti. Its only a 20 long. I didn't think I'd need to dose for a long time yet as my tanks only about 7 months old. But, I went away for a week, everything was fine, came back and my birdsnest is bleaching from the bottom up, LPS are all mad, and nothing is happy. I tested alk and it was wayyyy low, down to 8 when its usually at 12.... I admit I don't test as much as I should, but whenever I tested params were good. The problem is... I'm leaving for 2 weeks Wednesday, I got back last Thursday night. So I dosed some alk fluid I had on hand and raised it by one ppm per day. So now its up to 10, where i'll be keeping it. I put 1/2 tsp of reef builder in my 5 gal ATo, and right now everythings looking steady, but the people who are house sitiing know nothing about fish. I'm really worried I'll come back to all my SPS bleached, LPS dying, and ugh. I'm just hoping the reef builder will keep alk steady enough until I can get back and get everything back to normal.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always hard finding time for maintenance and building stuff during the warm months. I have stuff to build a kalk reactor, but haven't found the time. I want to build a better salt mixing station in the basement, but first need to fix things in the area it is going (old house, dirt floor).

I did however find the time this weekend to do a WC AND mow the lawn AND put the garden in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back